BusinessObjects Board

Data Load error

Hi All,
I am using Data Services to run a job from SQL Server Source system to Oracle as Target system.
Data from one table going to another.
I have a data flow setup and mapped the columns to each other already.
However when the job is run it throws an error;

ORA-12899: value too large for column "Table.field01" (actual:10, maximum :7)

It seems like in the source table field01 has values exceeding the varchar(7) datatype.
I tried adding a rtrim and ltrim to no avail.
Need help on adding some sort of syntax on the Query so the data load takes place smoothly,
thanks.

:crazy_face:

americanmc :hong_kong: (BOB member since 2009-12-31)

So far we have tried to go into the Query and use different SQL functions to reduce the source data values to varchar(7) such as substr and replace functions, but to no avail.
When we check data in TOAD, it shows only 7 characters for source data values, But in Data services some value are coming as:

"LANGELS "

If you count these it is equal to 10 CHARACTERS. So basically we know what is causing the issue, however unable to get rid of these quotation marks.
Another example of data profile:

SLOUGHS, EDINGHB, "SLONDON "

However noticed one thing that the target table column has a nvarchar datatype instead of just varchar.
Anyone knows if nvarchar would make data values different?

:hb:

i am going to close this request since did not get any reply. The DBA in the meantime advised that he will be running script to trunc the spaces and it seems to be working.
Thanks!

I saw this post just now, would have definitely responded if I had seen this post.

change datatype to NVARCHAR(7 CHAR) and it should work.

BODSDW (BOB member since 2011-01-19)