BusinessObjects Board

Crystal Reports XML Data Access From BOE

I am experimenting with the use of XML as an input data source for Crystal Reports to better understand limitations and proper use of XML as a data source.

I have created a Crystal Report which accesses a local XML file as its data source. The report works fine when running the report locally from within the IDE or when invoking the report from the JRC API. Using the JRC I have been able to modify the location/name of the local XML file successfully.

I would like to do create the same report from the BOE. I have saved the rpt file to the Enterprise. My first test on the enterprise was to view the report from InfoView of the CMC. In both cases I receive the following error:

The database logon information for this report is either incomplete or incorrect

The Database configuration information stored with the report in BOE appears correct as near as I can tell. I find very little documentation about the use of XML as a data source and am at a loss at the moment.

I am running CR 2008
and BOE XI 3.1

Wondering if local XML files are supported when running CR on BOE. Any insight?

pbshaw (BOB member since 2010-03-10)

Is your XML Data located on a network drive? If so, what user ID does the Server Intelligence Agent (SIA) run under on the server where BOE is installed?

The default log when BOE is installed is the “local services” account. This account is local to the server where BOE is installed and doesn’t have access to any network resources. A best practice is to have a “services” id set up in Active Directory and use that to run the SIA. This account can then be given access to the network folder(s) where your XML data is located.

-Dell

hilfy :us: (BOB member since 2007-04-16)

Thanks. I will keep that information in mind.

In this instance, however, it would not seem to apply. The XML fiel is stored locally on teh server where BOE is installed and running.

pbshaw (BOB member since 2010-03-10)

In the CMC, go to the default properties of the report and select Database Configuration. Make sure it’s pointing to the correct location for your file and that “Use same database logon as when report is run” is selected.

-Dell

hilfy :us: (BOB member since 2007-04-16)