BusinessObjects Board

Crystal Reports Over Snowflake Stored Procedure

Has anyone worked with Crystal Reports against Snowflake stored procedures?
How did they perform?
Were they more difficult to work with than Crystal Reports against SQL Server stored procedures?

We have a not insignificant number of Crystal Reports written against stored procedures in SQL Server but we don’t yet have any experience using them with Snowflake.

We have a project coming up where we would like to use Crystal Reports against Snowflake and universes are out of the picture due to the published Crystal Reports Statement of Direction.

Update: From looking at Overview of Stored Procedures for Snowflake, it looks like Snowflake stored procedures are not designed to return any data like a SQL Server stored procedure can. Is there anyone who can confirm this?

At this point, your best bet is going to be to use Commands (SQL Select Statement) in the reports instead of calling stored procs. For more info about using Commands, see https://blogs.sap.com/2015/04/01/best-practices-when-using-commands-with-crystal-reports/. I’ve been using Crystal since version 4.5 (@25 years) and I know I can write more efficient SQL than Crystal can, so I use a command for just about every report that requires more than 2 tables.

-Dell