BusinessObjects Board

Crystal Reports and Universes

I am sure the security would be the same for Webi. But this is the first time that we have wanted a user to be able to use an universe as a data source. We have other users that can design universes, but this user only needs to create a report based on a universe.

So what access level do I need to give them for this to happen. I am sure this has been answered somewhere before, but apparently I am not doing the correct search.

kevlray :us: (BOB member since 2010-06-23)

Is it Crystal thick client or Crystal Reports for Enterprise?

To be fair, I think it should be the same, but sure they only need access to the Universe and the connection (and any datasources setting up on their machine if it`s regular Crystal Reports designer).

ABILtd :uk: (BOB member since 2006-02-08)

Just Crystal Reports (access to UNV). I gave full control to the connection for the universes and tried Universe Designer and View on Demand access levels. But neither one made a difference.

Is there an error?

No, just two folders Projects and SecurityProfiles (both empty). No universes. Not sure where those folders come from. I am sure I am missing something, but this is the first time we have tried this, so I am not sure what.

As a test, I used the WebI Rich Client. I can see the universes there. So there must be something special with Crystal Reports and universes.

FYI: I can login with myself and see the universes, but I am part of the Universe Designers and Administration groups.

It’s possible that the universe data connection type was not installed when Crystal was installed. You could do an update install on Crystal to verify that.

-Dell

hilfy :us: (BOB member since 2007-04-16)

I know it installed is since if I use my login (as adminstrator) I can see the universes. Also if I add the user to the universe designer group then I can see all the universes (not what I want to happen, I just want the user to see a subset of the universes available). We have test server (it is set up slightly different). I will see if I get a different result.

Im wondering if its showing you ones you aren`t allowed to use, and will error if you try to use them, but let you use the ones with the privs set correctly. Crystal might not be very effective at filtering the list based on security (sure XIR2 used to do that too with Webi). Annoying for a user.

In order for a user to be able to use a universe they need the following rights:[list]Universe - Create and Edit Queries Based on Universe
Universe - Data Access
Content - View objects[/list]This applies to both Web intelligence and Crystal Reports. These rights should be applied at either the universe folder level (preferred so rights can be inherited to all universes in the folder) or on individual universes if you want to have lots of overhead to manager your security.

Universe - Create and Edit Queries Based on Universe
Universe - Data Access
Content - View objects

Unfortunately either we did not set the security correctly or it still is not working.

They need to be able to use the connection also.
[list]Connection - Data Access
Connection - Use connection for Stored Procedures (if used)
General - View objects
Relational Connection - Download connection locally
Relational Connection - Data Access
Relational Connection - Use connection for Stored Procedures (if used)[/list]

It is odd that if I include the user in the Universe Designer group then they can see all the universes. We have several users which can use Crystal Reports for Enterprise and UNX with no issues using View on Demand.

I have posted an incident with SAP. Maybe they can show us what we are doing wrong.

The SAP rep was able to show me what access levels need to be set (I think it could be easier, but I followed their lead).

The main thing I was missing was the top level security for universes. I added the group that needed access and gave the group view rights to objects.

Yes, they must have view access at that level. Sorry I forgot about that. It’s been some what of a set and forget for us. We used Advanced Rights to grant View access to the object only at the top level to Everyone. This allows that level of access and then the actual access is granted at the universe folder level.