BusinessObjects Board

Crystal Report Documentation Tool

BOB,

I am curious if there is such thing as a Crystal Report documentation tool, similiar to how Business Objects Designer has a tool to document the universe. The purpose of the tool is to outline all the ‘wiring’ behind the universe (ie objects, joins, etc). Therefore, in Crystal Report case, it will outline all the groups, sections, formulas, etc.

I am not sure if such thing exists, though it never hurts to ask :).

Thanks in advance.

~Jdog

Jdog (BOB member since 2006-05-31)

In Crystal you can export to “Report Definition” to get most of this information - this export the information to a text file. It’s also not that difficult to write your own using the SDK - I’ve done this in C#.NET because I was having difficulty finding what I needed with the report definition.

-Dell

hilfy :us: (BOB member since 2007-04-16)

Can you point me to some actual C# Code or library or links to do this documentation? Are you using reflection?
Specifically I have a very complex .RPT in VS-CRNET with tons of formulas and conditional junk that I inheritied and I want to find dependencies/usage of each formula.
(512KB .rpt, 4 subreports, 23 sections…)

Thx,
Matt MS

mattms (BOB member since 2009-03-06)

I’ll try to get the code posted to my website over the weekend and I’ll let you know when it’s there. It’s C# in VS2005.

-Dell

hilfy :us: (BOB member since 2007-04-16)

Hi Dell,

Where have you posted your code.? Can you tell me your website?

Can anyone help me out how to do documentation over the reports.?

Thanks in advance,
JB

Jayabal :india: (BOB member since 2009-01-05)

Hi Dell,

We have extracted a metadata for chart and crosstab objects in the crystal report using SDK(version 3x).
But it cannot able to fetch the field columns used in that particular chart or crosstab which is the limitation od SDK(3x).
So we checked the latest SDK(version 4x) for the availability of method to capture those details. We don’t find any change between older and latest SDKs.

Is there any other way to capture those details?

Thanks in advance!

pmimran (BOB member since 2015-11-27)