BusinessObjects Board

Contexts and aliases have their own place,not subtitutional.

My Client says design the universes as per the business requirements, but don’t use context as it may prompt users to select one, and it creates confusion. But I am trying to convince him that context and aliases have different usage cases and they are not substitution to each other. I ensured him that we will use context in a way that it will never prompt users to select. I prompts user when used inappropriate manner, or there is something wrong in implementation of business logic, and such universe needs rework. But he is not convinced at-all. They think, we are trying to fool them and looking for opportunity in the name of rework to existing universes and are trying to convince them for usage of context which in future may impact business, or may require fix. We are trying to make our job simpler, and charging them high.

Please help me with supportive threads and documents which can be projected to them, to understand this. Also this will make me more confident as well.

deepak21.s :qatar: (BOB member since 2010-09-06)

You can find many context supportive statements in a Designer guide from SAP.
http://help.sap.com/

Marfi :poland: (BOB member since 2006-12-18)

Thanks Marfi, I have this, but this did not helped them.

so maybe you will find something here:
http://www.dagira.com/

Marfi :poland: (BOB member since 2006-12-18)

Did you read the sticky?

Bottom line is this: contexts and aliases are two different tools, used to solve two different problems. They are not interchangeable. If the client does not “get” that, then I guess it’s your job to educate them. Or find a new client. :slight_smile:

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

:rotf: , Yes, sometimes, you just cannot help them, poor dears!!

Mak 1 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-01-06)

Hey Dave, Thanks a lot for the thread.
I have been collecting points and will like to document them for my clients and user, so that they can understand the difference and their specific usage in join problems. I have been going through threads and your blog as well ‘Context Vs Aliases’.

Also there is one white paper by Steve Krandel too, but am not able to find it some where.

If any of our community members have it please attach or give link atleast. I may refer that too. Looking forward to come up with one paper from me too.

Looking for your support and encouragement.

Thanks & Regards,

Old, but good one attached.
Contexts_and_Aliases_-_why_we_need_them.zip (739.0 KB)

Mak 1 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-01-06)

Hi Mak,

Thanks I had this one, but yes it reminded me of it. This was helpful. If some one have something other too, please welcome !!