BusinessObjects Board

Complete Report Metadata - MS Access 2003

Author: Nathan Hardman (nathan.hardman@zionsbank.com)
Platform: BOE 3.1 on Window Server 2003 using an Oracle repository
Version: MS Access 2003
Author notes: We have over 12000 documents in our repository and just as many recurring scheduled instances. Our users were asking for data that would allow them to mange their reports. They wanted to know what is out there, who put it there, when will it run, what has failed, who is getting what, which events will trigger what reports, which reports use which universe(s)…ect. In response, I built a MS Access utility that queries the repository and captures all the report metadata in a relational database so that it can then be queried by the users via a universe. The utility is designed to run by itself and I have been surprise by how stable it has been running. It takes about an hour to run so I have it running at 2 am every night via a windows scheduled task.
How to use:
Step 1. Open the “tbl_Credentials” table and enter the repository connection info.
Step 2. Right click on the “mcr_Auto_Run” and create a short-cut to a location on the server where you want the utility to run.
Step 3. Create a schedule task that calls the short-cut that you just created.
I have created the “frm_Run” which is a GUI that will allow a user to manually run the individual functions so you can re-run incrementally without having to run the whole process.
Metadata.zip (56.0 KB)

Gorilla (BOB member since 2011-05-25)

Moderator note:
Approved, and moved to BOB’s Downloads.

Took me some time to have an access to MS Access.

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)

Many thanks for this Offline Database.

Based on your comments in the post, you already have a universe designed against this database. If possible can you also post this, without security so that it can be linked and used against this database.

Many thanks in advance.

Stuart. :smiley:

slubbock :new_zealand: (BOB member since 2003-09-28)

Based on your comments in the post, you already have a universe designed against this database. If possible can you also post this, without security so that it can be linked and used against this database.

Many thanks in advance.

LANFIELD :us: (BOB member since 2006-05-18)

Hello,
I do have same question about universe, and asking for enhancements please:
1.Could you retrieve and display in separate columns the description and Keywords of the report in report table
2.Could you retrieve the group name besides group ID in Users_Group table?
Thank you,
Alex

kolsasha :moldova: (BOB member since 2007-01-31)

Trying to get this to run with BO 11.1 instead of 12. Not an easy task. Lots and lots of references.

Currently can’t get the sessionMgr to define properly Debug breaks on this.

Rogoflap (BOB member since 2009-04-08)

Ok.

Finally did get it to run with BO 11.

It does work great and gather a lot of info.

One piece that I am missing is on the Report Instances, I have many that have email addresses. When the code runs it looks at the list and they are al DEFAULT, so NO email to addresses are coming back. I have
many recurring reports that send out via email as pdf. This info is BLANK in the result.

I desperately would like to have this info.

Any help would be appreciated. I am a developer but don’t know the Crystal Object model.

Thanks,

Rog

It may be useful to others if you could post it here :).

Mak 1 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-01-06)

This is a small revision of Nathan Hardman’s MS Access 2003 Metadata Access database. I have changed references to work with Crystal 11 instead of 12.

“Complete Report Metadata - MS Access 2003”

The attahced file is the EXACT same MDB just with references to Version 11 of BOB.

Here is Nahan’s info.

Author: Nathan Hardman (nathan.hardman@zionsbank.com)
Platform: BOE 3.1 on Window Server 2003 using an Oracle repository
Version: MS Access 2003
Author notes: We have over 12000 documents in our repository and just as many recurring scheduled instances. Our users were asking for data that would allow them to mange their reports. They wanted to know what is out there, who put it there, when will it run, what has failed, who is getting what, which events will trigger what reports, which reports use which universe(s)…ect. In response, I built a MS Access utility that queries the repository and captures all the report metadata in a relational database so that it can then be queried by the users via a universe. The utility is designed to run by itself and I have been surprise by how stable it has been running. It takes about an hour to run so I have it running at 2 am every night via a windows scheduled task.
How to use:
Step 1. Open the “tbl_Credentials” table and enter the repository connection info.
Step 2. Right click on the “mcr_Auto_Run” and create a short-cut to a location on the server where you want the utility to run.
Step 3. Create a schedule task that calls the short-cut that you just created.
I have created the “frm_Run” which is a GUI that will allow a user to manually run the individual functions so you can re-run incrementally without having to run the whole process.

Metadata.zip
Description:

Download
Filename: Metadata.zip
Filesize: 55.11 KB
Downloaded: 223 Time(s)
Metadata 2003Crystal11.zip (48.0 KB)

Ok. So I just put it in the Uploads section. I will post back when it does make it to the downloads section.

Moderator note:
I merged both topics. So you can see the new utility version in the attachment 2 posts above.

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)

I do have a universe but the database version that I uploaded to the forum is a year and a half old. I have made so many changes since then, that it would not be a plug and play deal.

At the time, I was not sure which library references were needed so I guessed and did a shotgun approach. I have since refined the list to 3 references.

Crystal Enterprise Framework library
Crystal Enterprise Infostore library
Crystal Enterprise Connection Plugin

If, it’s possible, could you update the Database and then add your Universe.

It would be really appreciated. And it would make my life a lot easier. :box:

Many thanks.
Stuart.

:smiley:

slubbock :new_zealand: (BOB member since 2003-09-28)

I have solved the Destination email issue in the MDB, so I will be uploading one last version of this database.

Be sure to reference the top of this Blog to see how it’s used.

I did however add some functionality to the form to make is a little more user friendly with showing the data for each button.

Rog

would this work on windows server 2008 and ms access 2010?

jgeagle5 (BOB member since 2009-05-07)

Does this works with access 2007? When hit on any button I am getting the “Run time error ‘94’’: Invalid us of Null”

Am I missing something?

-Dora

dora (BOB member since 2008-04-09)