BusinessObjects Board

Cleaning the repository

We are trying to clean the repository.
Is there a way to find which reports and universe have not been used since some time or the usage on each report and universe.

We donot have Auditor but can use SDk if need be.

ANy help is highly appreciated.

Reema

reemagupta (BOB member since 2002-09-18)

Have you turned on auditing? I’ve gotten quite a bit of useful information from study of the data in the audit tables.

Cindy Clayton :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-11)

Cindy,

As i mentioned earlier we donot have auditor.
Are these tables part of repository???

Please clarify.

Thanks
Reema

Reema – WebI can be set to create audit logs for WebI / ZABO users. That’s what Cindy is talking about turning on.

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

Hi Cindy and Anita,

I forgot to mention that we donot have webI/ZABO.
I am talking of removing the documents and universe which have not been used from the repository. These documents and universe were created using full client with BO 5.1.3.

Thanks for your help
Reema

Reema – there is nothing in out-of-the-box Full-Client reporter that will tell you this.

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

Can we do something with SDK???

Thanks
Reema

In a normal BO setup document access is not logged anywhere so it is not possible to track document access, even with SDK, as that data does not exist anywhere.

You can track if any changes are made as those are logged in the repo. You could run a query against obj_m_documents and look at m_doc_n_lad and m_doc_n_lat but that would only give you if someone made changes to the doc not if someone accessed it.

Addition: Another thought, a weird way to capture the access would be to put a trigger on the Document table so that you write the doc_id or the doc_name with the time to another table whenever it is accessed! THIS MIGHT KILL YOUR WARRANTY…

avaksi :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-22)

Yes, but it’s too late. :wink:

If you don’t have Webi / ZABO, then the only way to track universe / document usage is by creating an add-in for the client. Each refresh / open / other activity would have to be logged to a text file or table somewhere. Once that code is in place, you could “audit” your installation.

There are third party products that are available that will allow you to do this without writing your own code.

But since you haven’t had that in place, there’s no way to go back in time and determine what has / has not been used.

Dave

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Dave,

Could you pls send me the code to do this for future?

Thanks
Reema

Have a look at this sample, provided by a former BUSOB-L listserv member. It’s in the VBA/SDK area of the Integra library.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the link.

When I tried using this add-in, it gives me error while refreshing the document , the user activity is being logged properly.

What could be the problem.
I am running on BO 5.1.3

Thanks
Reema

I’m afraid you’re on your own at this point… I’ve never actually installed the macro, and it’s not something that was written by an Integra consultant. We’re just hosting / distributing it. You can try contacting the original author (link should be on the site) but it has been a while since I have heard from him. He may or may not still be available.

Best advice is to roll up your sleeves and work your way through the macro code, see if you can understand what is going on.

Dave