BusinessObjects Board

Cascading prompts Question

Hi Friends,

I have a problem with Cascading prompts. I have seen some of your posts in this forum and I taught you may help me.

Problem:

I have Business Unit Hierarchy

Lev -1
Lev -2
Lev -3

Business Req :
The user will be presented 3 prompts (lvl1, lvl2, lvl3)

Level 3 prompt value should be based on lvl1 and lvl2 prompt values selected by the User.

Thanks,
Sam

sam4u :us: (BOB member since 2008-01-09)

I’m not sure the problem is clearly stated here.

PS cross-posting <> cool

Eric Vallo :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

I removed the extra post leaving only this one. For what it’s worth, you can always report a post using the proper icon, found on the lower right-hand corner of any post.

This will bring the post to the attention of the moderator team.

As to the question, what you have described is a fairly standard cascading prompt. Have you tried the standard process? If not, please do so. If you have, please describe what undesirable behavior you’re getting.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Dave, point taken. Thanks.

Eric Vallo :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Check these threads How to create cascading Prompts and Cascading Prompt Automatic Refresh Problem.
Back with if you have any issues.

Arjun (BOB member since 2008-07-28)

Hi Dave,
I have 4 levels hierarchy and cascading prompt setup. No problem in that area.
When the user use for Ex: Level 4 object in the prompt, everything is fine. They get to choose from the hierarchy tree (level1…level2…level3…level4)
But sometime the user has requirement in which they have to use 2 or 3 objects
For Ex: Prompt 1: Level 1 object
Prompt 2: Level 2 Object -> this should display values underneath value from Level 1 object
Prompt 3: Level 3 Object --> this should display values underneath value from selected Level 1 & Level 2 Value.

What we are trying to achieve is when the user gets to level 3 prompt the hierarchy tree of Level 3 Object should be controlled by the Values from prompt 1 & Prompt 2…

Thanks,
Sam

sam4u :us: (BOB member since 2008-01-09)

Sam, I read your post several times to make sure, but what you seem to be describing is the standard functionality of cascading prompts. It doesn’t matter how many levels (3 or 4) that you have. As long as the list of values queries are configured properly, your level 3 selection should be bound by level 2 and 1 selections.

That is what should happen, assuming you have things set up correctly. What you should do to check this is open your universe and double-click on the object for level 3. Go to the properties tab and click the “edit” button to see the LOV. Make sure there is a prompt there that references the level 2 hierarchy object.

If it’s there, it should work.

If it’s not there, then your cascading LOVs have not been created.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

I have tried to create cascading lists of values using the menu function several times and consistently get

'One or more objects already contain a list of values. Do you want to overwrite them? ’

• I click Yes and it crashes Designer - EVERY time!! :hb: . Any ideas how to address this??

Charles Killam :us: (BOB member since 2003-04-24)

Charles -

I was having the same problem with Designer crashing when trying to set up a cascading LOV…the error message said something was incorrect with the OS and IP address on my computer (not sure how that’s related). What I did was log onto the BO server itself and try from there and it worked fine. So, my advice is to try on a different machine…

bmart

bmart :us: (BOB member since 2009-04-03)