BusinessObjects Board

Cascading prompt

Cascading prompt :

Select City;;
Select State:
Select Country:

First we select country, then state then city this is way cascading prompt works.
My question is
The first selection ie (Select Country )is in the bottom can I make to the top. So it is easy for the user in navigation…

The first selection is the bottom and the final selection on the top can I reverse the navigation making the First selection on the top and the last in the bottom

itchel (BOB member since 2010-05-26)

This is default behavior with BO , You cant change order of prompts .

patriot3029 :india: (BOB member since 2006-12-08)

Please rename your prompt as 1.Select Country
2.Select State
3.Select City

rakhis (BOB member since 2010-07-09)

If you are talking about the way you have to present in webi prompt window, then it’s doable. Once you setup the cascading values in the universe it will display the collapsed list of values for all Countries and the order will be country -->city --> State

madhu kothamasu :us: (BOB member since 2007-07-31)

Hi experts,
I would like to create cascading prompt in WebI Rich Client that goes from Country, Region and then City. Can I do a prompt which acts like the following?

1. First, it prompts user to Select Country from a list of 20 countries.

2. After user selected 1 country, it prompts again to Select Region (which shows only regions for the selected country)

3. After user selected the region, it prompts again to Select City (which shows only cities for the selected region)

This is possible in Crystal Reports but is this possible in WebI? Please advise.
Reply ASAP would be very very very much appreciated.

Thanks all

ccool2000 :malaysia: (BOB member since 2008-12-09)

Hi Itchel and Patriot3029,

If Itchel is using XIR 3.X. Yes, we can change the order of prompts. I haven’t see the previous versions. Go to Query Panel then to Properties tab, scroll down and you’ll see an option called Prompt Order. You can set the order or prompts there.

Thanks,
MM

M H Mohammed :us: (BOB member since 2010-06-16)

Hi all,
I managed to solve the cascading prompt issue by editing the LOV for the objects but now, I’ve got another problem. The lowest level of the prompt will appear on top, followed by the other higher level prompts.
That means, instead of seeing the prompts to be arranged in sequence A, it is arranged in sequence B.

Sequence A

1. Please select Country
  2. Please select Region
  3. Please select City

Sequence B

1. Please select City
  2. Please select Region
  3. Please select Country

There is no problem in getting the input as it will ask user to select values of Country first before allowing user to select values for Region and then City.

The only concern is that I want to have Sequence A so that it makes more sense, working downwards instead of working upwards.

Hope I’m not confusing anyone.
Please advise if I can change the sequence.

Cheers!

Hi Ccool,

Can you not do what Mohammed mentions in the last entry to this post regarding changing the order? Or are you not on XI R3.X?

If you are not, then I don’t think you can.

Thanks

Bobber :us: (BOB member since 2009-08-28)

Hi Bobber,

The cascading LOV is done at the universe level where I set the prompts on the object’s LOV itself. When I’m at WebI Rich Client, the Query Filter panel contains the lowest level of the cascading prompt, which means I have only 1 prompt and nothing more I can arrange in terms of the prompt order.

My forum reference: (How do I create cascading or nested prompts?)

To further explain my points, I’ve attached the following snapshot. Please advise.

Cheers!
snapshots.doc (204.0 KB)

Please make sure the “Hierarchical Display” checkbox is marked for the LOVs that participate in your cascading prompt.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

This is also available in XIR2…Goto Query Panel below is the code

SELECT
EVENT_TYPE.Event_Type_Description
FROM
EVENT_TYPE
WHERE
EVENT_TYPE.Event_Type_Description = @prompt(‘Enter Action Name:’,‘A’,‘Actions\Action Name’,Mono,Free,Persistent,User:0)

We need to change the {USER:0} this determines the order of prompts

ronaks :india: (BOB member since 2010-07-13)

Prompt order has nothing to do with the order of prompts in a cascading configuration.

Does this mean we cannot change the order in the prompt as seen in the snapshot? :s

The order of prompts in a cascading configuration is defined by the nested order of the LOVs and by making sure the Hierarchical Display option is turned on, which I mentioned earlier.

Hello Dave,

I have read your replies regarding the “Cascading LOVs” subject and was able to create a report that has Cascading Prompts using the Island Resorts Marketing universe. However, I do have a question.

In the universe, I understand the following -

1. the objects need to be in a hierarchy (Tools > Hierarchies).
  2. the “Hierarchical Display” option needs to be turned on for each LOV object.
  3. a “Cascading List of Values” needs to be created.

How do I know if a “Cascading List of Values” already exists?
When I create this cascade in Tools > Lists of Values > Create cascading Lists of Values, I do not see my result in the “Edit a List of Values”.

Is there a way to find out which LOVs have been cascaded?

Ruan

hbunicorns :us: (BOB member since 2007-05-31)

The “create cascading LOV” option is a one-way street. All it does is add prompts to the LOV queries for each object that you select (other than the very first one). To verify this has happened, create a cascading LOV on (for example) Resort, Service Line, and Service. Then check the LOV definition for Service Line and Service, and note that there is a prompt in each case that refers to the next higher level of the hierarchy. That’s how it works.

But there is no way to tell if these prompts were build manually or via the menu shortcut, nor should it matter.

Thanks Dave. Looking at the LOV definition helped.

Ruan

hbunicorns :us: (BOB member since 2007-05-31)

The order for the prompts cannot be changed. I suggest that you redo the prompts and the LOVs and you should get a tree to navigate through during prompts.

The only problem I am having with that is the LOVs are not displayed during view mode in InfoView.

upekesha (BOB member since 2010-09-26)