BusinessObjects Board

Cant Create a .csv in BO 6.5.1

In BO 5.1.8, I can Export to csv in the data manager, give it and extension of .csv when I create it and open the file directly in Excel. The file that was created has an extension of “Microsoft Excel Comma Seperated Values File” When viewed in notepad, the comma seperators are apparent.
In BO 6.5.1 the same key strokes produces a .txt file. It can be opened in Excel and it appears the same as a .csv would in excel. When opened in Notepad it does not show the comma delimiters. I have a user with a macro that uses 28 reports that they created in BO5. They require a “Microsoft Excel Comma Seperated Values File” to be produced . I know you can pick (.) and chose a Character delimiter of ‘,’ but it does not produce a csv. entension.

Is there some setting or option that I am Missing?

pcarbone :us: (BOB member since 2003-01-13)

When you export from the Data Manager follow these steps:

a) Select export to local file format.
b)    Name : C:\Documents and Settings\consultant108\My  Documents\My Business Objects Documents\userDocs\Query1.csv
c)    Format : *.*
d)    Delimiter : ,

Keep in mind that the file name by default will be “filename.txt” change it “filename.csv”.

See (b) what I did.

This should work for you…!!

Good Luck

BO_Chief :us: (BOB member since 2004-06-06)

irfan,

Thank You.  Yes this works.  My problem is that this is for end users who are resistant to any change and  thay don't want any extra key strokes because they are doing it for 28 files at a time. I have a ticket out with BO tech support.  I'll let you know if they have anything to say.

Glad it worked… Let us know what BO tech support says…

BO_Chief :us: (BOB member since 2004-06-06)

Hi,

Does the document includes multiple dps that need to be exported?
If addins are allowed have you considered using this?

It allows you to select export multiple dps in one go.

It wouldn’t be very hard to extend/convert the macro to get it to export the DPs for all the open documents then they could export multiple documents in one go.

Just a thought :slight_smile: ,

mark

robbinma4 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-07-31)

Thank You RobbinMa4,

The real problem is that the users have a macro that was created by users long gone.  They don't how it works, they just know that they need to feed it 28 .csv data sets that are created by  exporting BO reports to .csv.   For what ever reason 6.5 behaves differently from 5.1.8 .  We have already cut over to 6.5 and they never exercised this function til now, so to them this is a big emergency.  They do not want to press a different key.  They do not want to press an extra key. These are not expert users.

Thank you for the addin. I'm going to look into runnig the reports from a macro to see if there is an export to cvs or save as csv in VBA

I'll keep you posted.

We have a similar problem to this although our users are refreshing reports in Webi. They want to be able to open/save the documents in Webi as csv files.

Is this possible?

systematic :uk: (BOB member since 2005-11-25)

I think the key thing here is whether or not the report was created with the full client (PC software). If it was then the users can’t do anything with it as it is displayed as a PDF file. :hb:
If it was created using WEBI then the report can be downloaded as CSV.
:slight_smile: although that means that the report is limited by what WEBI can do :roll_eyes:
I don’t have 6.5.1 but I understand that WEBI hasn’t improved much from the version available to people with version 5. Apparently at BOXI it is a lot better. Hopefully I should know in a short while when I get access to our test system… :smiley:

best regards,

Mark

robbinma4 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-07-31)

Unfortunately all our reports are created in full client. It seems that perhaps the only thing that we can do is create a post export process that converts files to csv.

I wonder if anyone knows of any future plans to enable csv exporting from Webi via full client?

systematic :uk: (BOB member since 2005-11-25)

Currently working on report based upon SQL query,so forced to go with Deski Freehand SQL(Business Objects 3.1) after that scheduling daily(so far good;-)) and delivery file format should be .CSV format.This output dynamically not sure how can we achive this output,as we can get out put in plain text/rich text but I would like to have itin .CSV format.can we can save in. csv format but not in dynamically or scheduled…any suggestion please

bobbee365 :uk: (BOB member since 2012-03-26)

If you can output as plain text/ rich text then you’re fine.

Create your report as a single column report with one field that is a concatenation of the others

<Object 1>+","+<object 2>+","+FormatDate(<Object 3>;"dd/MM/yyyy")

and so on

Thanks Mark, Single column concatenation seems good idea to pullup data into single column work fine but column heading is getting lost in process of single columns data in the end it’s only single column is displaying???

:frowning: :frowning:

Have your heading as one long text string?

=“Header 1,Header 2,Header 3,etc”

Or did you mean something else?

Thanks Mark,

Tried this option but no luck

=“Header 1,Header 2,Header 3,etc”

but I tried below option it worked but it can’t take pool of columns

=NameOf()+","+NameOf()…if you do more then 2 or 3 columns it’s throwing with

#MultiValue error

and even in the columns data also it’s not reading beyond 4 columns and it’s finding difficult with date columns. I tried to use functions on date columns but still no use