BusinessObjects Board

Can you change a Webi Report back into BO report?

Hi,

another question. Is it possible to take a report that has been developed in Webi and change it to be a BO Full Client report (without having to redevelop the report in BO Full Client)?

Thanks,
da Mouse :smiley:

aposullivan :australia: (BOB member since 2004-07-23)

It depends on the version. With version 2.x of Webi, you can send the document to a user, putting it in their “In Box”. A full client session can be started, and that document downloaded. BusinessObjects will convert the query only (no formatting) to a BusinessObjects report.

The same process does not work in version 6. A full client session cannot “see” a webi report, even if it has been sent to the user’s Inbox.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Damn that sucks!

If only they kept the Webi 2.x functionality in version 6.x.

We have 6 Webi reports and 4 BO Reports. Due to the whole not being able to schedule reports in webi to save as excel, i was hoping i could convert those reports back to BO Full Client reports and schedule them in BO Full Client, to save as excel.

Thanks for your reply!

Cheers.

aposullivan :australia: (BOB member since 2004-07-23)

It wasn’t much functionality to begin with. :slight_smile: The WID documents for version 6 are much different from the WQY documents used in version 2. For whatever reason, they did not elect to allow full client to open / import WID documents.

For what it’s worth, you can open a Webi report in Full Client v6.5.1 just to look at the SQL. I don’t think the report will run from Full Client, but at least you can get access to the code. You have to go to File/Open and then change the file type to .wqy to see them.

Actually, I just tried refreshing a .wqy file from within Full Client and it seemed to run. I wonder if this could mess anything up?

Erin Aasted :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

You can refresh a *.wqy in Full Client but I believe it still acts like a Web Intelligence document.

In the past I have just recreated my docs as *.rep files if I need them to be Full Client documents.

I think there are various utilities that do some of this automatically. Search here on BOB and I think you’ll find a couple of mentions.

Judy

JMulders :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

As I said, you can open a wqy document (version 2) but not the wid document (version 6). At least that’s the way I remember my testing going… it has been a few months since I tried.

Dave is right (of course). The pull down list of file types only includes the old .wqy Webi documents. The v6 Webi documents are .wid and that option doesn’t even show up.
:oops:

Erin Aasted :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Hi Dave, Slightly off Topic. I am trying to obtain the object information from .wid reports in v6.

I noticed that you had written a piece of vb that achieved this for .rep reports and you mentioned that this would also work for .wqy reports. If I copied the .wid reports from the server to the appropriate directory would this piece of vb work? If not do you know of any way that this information could be extracted from a .wid file?

I hope you can remember this far back. Thanks in advance.

RMCPHAIL :uk: (BOB member since 2007-11-01)

Try this … WID Scanner

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Thanks for getting back so promptly. I saw that document on BOB but couldn’t access it as it’s in XI format. Would it be possible for you to post the vb code from the document?

This could save me loads of time, so I really appreciate you’re efforts.

Thanks, Robin.

I can’t, but feel free to leave a message here, or via email, to the author.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

It does not appear to be VB code. :slight_smile: I have not used it, but a quick scan of the description and it seems that they’re using “grep” which is a unix command used to scan files for patterns and report on results.

Thanks for Looking Dave. I have contacted jbo to find out more. You’re right, it seems as though she is using grep on a unix system, but there are equivalents for PC/server based grep commands. I am still naively optimistic. :wink: