BusinessObjects Board

Can we get the US city/state from zip code only?

Can we input a zip code and return the official US city and state? We want do this without any address information. We’re using Data Services XI 3.1, but I’m sure this would work the same way in DQXI or ACE. Thanks.

Plainsman101 :us: (BOB member since 2005-11-07)

You should take a look at the Global Suggestion Transform.

The Global Suggestion Lists transform offers a way to complete and populate
addresses with minimal data, and it can offer suggestions for possible
matches. This easy address-entry system is ideal in call center environments
or any transactional environment where data cleansing is necessary at the
point of entry. It’s also a beneficial research tool for managing unassigned
addresses from a batch process.
Global Suggestion Lists functionality is designed to be integrated into your
own custom applications via the Web Service. If you are a programmer
looking for details about how to integrate Global Suggestion Lists functionality,
see “Integrate Global Suggestion Lists functionality” in the “Detailed concepts
for integrators” section of your BusinessObjects Data Services
Integrator’s Guide.

The Global Address Cleanse Transform is used to CLEANSE the address, parse an address, standardize and correct errors in it. If some fields of the address are missing, they are appended.

If your Use Case is more like “Built-an-address” or do some look ups in the data, you should take a look at GSL.

Niels

nweigel :de: (BOB member since 2008-11-05)

My goal is for the user to input the US zip code only, and for the GSL to return 1 city and state.

When I ran this through the GSL, there were many duplicate locality and postcode values, and no region values returned in the suggestion list. I ran this many times by changing the options, and was never able to get 1 ‘official’ locality and 1 ‘official’ postcode returned.

Is there a way to simply return 1 ‘official’ locality and an ‘official’ region using postcode1 and country code as input?

Got it to work using the global engine:

https://wiki.sdn.sap.com:443/wiki/display/BOBJ/Global+Suggestions+Transform

Werner Daehn :de: (BOB member since 2004-12-17)

In the final step, we make LIST current. I want to output LIST to an XML file, but I don’t get that option. Is there a way I can generate an XML schema so I can get the results into an XML file?

Place a QRY transform before your target and drag the entire LIST chema to QRY out schema. Now, place an XML template as a target.

Or

After dragging entire LIST schema to a QRY out schema then give a right click on the schema, you will get a speed menu now, select ‘Generate XML Schema’ option. You can save LIST as a separate XML schema.

gssharma :india: (BOB member since 2006-10-30)

:+1: :+1: :+1:

gssharma :india: (BOB member since 2006-10-30)

I’ve created the GlobalSuggestions transform as indicated, however, I’m not getting any results in the suggestion_list field.

Here are the other values I’m receiving from the GlobalSuggestions transform:
SUGGESTION_COUNT: 0
SUGGESTION_TYPE: N
DATA_TYPE: N
SUGGESTION_TYPE: N
WARNING: 0
ERROR: 1
SYSTEM_ERROR_NUMBER: 13
SYSTEM_ERROR_DESCRIPTION: No Results Returned

I’m inputting US zip code 11042 and country=US. I’ve attached a Word document with a couple of screenshots.

Does this sound like a problem with our installation? I’ll open a ticket with the support team if necessary.
gsl_screenshots.doc (202.0 KB)

Did you start the BusinessObjects Address Server manually in the Windows Services?

This (Data Integrator external) process needs to be running either you want to use the GSL transform or the EMEA engine in the GAC transform.

nweigel :de: (BOB member since 2008-11-05)

The address server is running. We’re using the Global Suggestion List with the Multi Country engine. I ran it with the USA engine, but got the same results.

Any success?

It turned out that we were using the wrong version of Designer (12.1.0.0) with the JobServer and JobEngine (12.1.1.0). Once we got this fixed, many of our transform problems went away. Unfortunately we had to move forward with a different option to look up the locality/region from the zip field.

I will be testing your solution when time permits. Thank you for taking the time to provide the detailed example.

Hi Werner,

Can you please provide the latest link as the link posted earlier is not working - https://wiki.sdn.sap.com:443/wiki/display/BOBJ/Global+Suggestions+Transform

I am trying to achieve the same - 'Can we get the US city/state from zip code only? ’ in BODS 4.0. Did anyone do this or any suggestions.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
rrayanna.

rrayanna (BOB member since 2010-07-12)

Hi,

We have a requirement…
Is it possible to get the list of all the states/region/province for a particular country??

I was thinking to use global suggestion list transform but its not helping.

Please share your thoughts…

Shivbaba :us: (BOB member since 2010-06-01)

Hi All,

Just wanted to update that I am able to get the region name in output, by inputting the zipcode and country.

In the GSL transform, we would have to use the Global engine.

Shivbaba :us: (BOB member since 2010-06-01)