BusinessObjects Board

Can BODS leverage existing BAPI and ABAP code?

I am looking for a definitive answer to my question. I think I know what we need to do but I am not an ABAP programmer and have no experience with the ERP side of things. I work mainly with the BODS ETL tool.

What we want to be able to do is to leverage existing BAPI and ABAP code and run the stuff we’re already running manually (standard and custom ‘Z’ queries) but to do it automatically.

Can Data Services meet this need?

Should we just create an ABAP function in SAP that executes the report and can be called in an R/3 dataflow?

msarrafi :us: (BOB member since 2006-03-01)

BAPIs and RFCs yes.
Existing ABAPs only if they can be brought into a form where they put all data into an ITAB (internal memory table) and the DS part can then read from that - see custom abap transforms.

Werner Daehn :de: (BOB member since 2004-12-17)

Hi Werner,

I understand the BAPI and RFC part. But I’m still working on trying to understand how BODS can by default read the temp (ITAB).

Here is my case. There are some custom ABAP programs in SAP that are scheduled to run in a Job every day. These programs export the data in the form of flat files. There are some programs that return three files with the execution of a single program. In all these cases does the Custom ABAP work?? if we are trying to migrate our process from the file export to direct read method.

Thanks in advance.

Randy_KP (BOB member since 2012-10-23)