BusinessObjects Board

BusinessQuery 6.5 won't unload

A user in our organization is having a problem with BQ 6.5.1: It seems that it’s stuck in the “Load” position. She ran a few reports this morning with no problem and says that there were no error messages. After lunch, BQ shows up loaded when she starts Excel 2003, opened directly or through an xls file. Unload does nothing.

• BO Enterprise 6.5.1
  • Excel 2003 / Windows XP. Updates are current.
  • Rebooting doesn’t help.
  • Unloading and deleting the xla reference in the registry, then reinstalling the addin doesn’t help.
  • No error messages were ever generated (afaik)
  • I was unable to recreate the problem.
  • Yes, the computer is plugged in.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? Google and bob both turn up nothing.

nbailey :us: (BOB member since 2007-04-19)

Moderator note:
Moving from BusinessObjects Classic forum to Business Query forum

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)

Now on TWO machines. Identical problem, still can’t replicate. Running 6.5.1 repackaged by CGC (a job cost accounting software company)

nbailey :us: (BOB member since 2007-04-19)

Hi,
I have the same problem today with BO 6.5 SP4. Could you tell me how you resolved the problem ?
BO Support has no answer and tell me “BusinessQuery is not stable”, Reinstall the product. (I confirm that this reinstallation does not solve the problem)

dorange (BOB member since 2008-03-28)

bump … any resolution for this? … thanks

Chris Pohl :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-18)

I’m not sure which registry settings apply to 6.x, nor which one you’ve deleted already. Have you tried deleting the 6.x equivalent of this one?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Business Objects\BusinessObjects\5.0\username User Prefs

where “username” is the user’s system login.

In 5.x, this contains the user’s settings within Business Query, one of which is “autoload”.

BTW, I’ve never seen BQ 5.x without the “unload” option. However, I have seen several options grayed out when the user didn’t have a blank excel file open. I would also check if there’s a personal macro attached to the user’s excel that may be wreaking havoc with BQ (Excel and BQ have never played well together…an ironic statement since that’s what it’s supposed to do!).

KSG :us: (BOB member since 2002-07-17)

Hi Karen, Thanks for the quick response :wink:

A couple of screenshots attached … LOAD is missing, UNLOAD doesn’t do anything

Here’s the v6.5 equivalent of the registry key, but i don’t see anything specific to Business Query here.
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Business Objects\Suite 6.0\default\BusinessObjects(username) User Prefs]

I did find the excel registry setting for the add-in … i’m trying to decipher this one now:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel\Options]
Screen shot 1.doc (129.0 KB)
Screen shot 2.doc (139.0 KB)

How bizarre. Is the open excel file “protected” in any way?

What’s the other add in that’s not checked? I’ve not seen “business objects planning” before. Maybe it installed something (a .dll?) that wiped out something for BQ. Is there a way to test this on a PC that doesn’t have THAT add in? Or maybe remove both and then just install BQ?

KSG :us: (BOB member since 2002-07-17)

The open spreadsheet is just the blank sheet at excel open

“business objects planning” is cartesis … i was thinking the same, there might be a conflict here … although the user says both have worked fine in the past … my next step is to try the reinstall of bquery and see if it fixes.

Thanks for the thoughts