BusinessObjects Board

Business rules and definitions throughout the landscape

Hi all,

Our situation:

We have customers that want to define business rules and other definitions in one place, which should be visible to end users when viewing reports in BO.

It’s a pretty straightforward thought in my opinion.

A lot of SAP packages are bundled with SAP PowerDesigner, Information Steward, Data Services and the front end BO tooling such as BI Launchpad, WebI, etc.

What is the easiest way to achieve this?

We have looked into connecting a PowerDesigner glossary to Information Steward metapedia (not yet able to though).

But then? Then you have the information in metapedia. These definitions you can connect to all kinds of objects in IS. But this information is NOT visible in for example, the Universe description. Please correct me if I’m wrong, but Information Steward is “one way”, as in, it will index all the connected repositories, but I think it’s not possible to “add” these descriptions to, for example, the Universe entity description fields.

Do you guys have any experience in real situations with this challenge?

H. Westerhof :netherlands: (BOB member since 2010-03-26)

I had a similar requirement with my company. We have detailed error reports using Web Intelligence documents in BI Launchpad.

My solution was to use SharePoint Lists to serve as the central repository for validation rules. The detailed error reports include hyperlinks to the individual SharePoint List items, so if a business user had a question regarding the rule logic or rule filtering they could click on the link which would take them to the SharePoint List item which has detailed information and also has supporting documents attached to it.

dsewardj (BOB member since 2012-10-22)