BusinessObjects Board

BOXI 3.1 - Ports

Hi All,

I have few questions based on below scenario

Business Objects Server - > Located in environment A and runs on a machine named Server A.
User -> Located in environment B and logged on to a machine named Client B

BO client software is not installed on the user machine.
If the user needs to create BO reports through Infoview the following are required.

1. Internet Browser on the user machine Client B
  2. Network connection between environment A and environment B that lets the http protocol to pass through. That is to call a URL on the web server running on the Server A from the internet browser on the Client A.
  3. License to use Infoview in Client B

Now,

1. Provided a network connectivity is already available between A and B, will there still be any issue accessing the Infoview from machine Client B?

2. Is it required to open any ports in the Server side in environment A?

3. Will there be any issues due to firewall?

Umamaheswari :india: (BOB member since 2011-02-04)

Hi!

Yes! The default port for Infoview is 8080 but this asked if you want to change it upon installation.

Just add the ports that the client and server uses for communication. For more info see this: https://bobj-board.org/t/70866

R.A. :philippines: (BOB member since 2008-10-28)

Thanks!! It was of great help.

Let me know if my understanding is correct.

To access Infoview from client machine, the port associated with Web server which is 8080 needs to be opened to make Infoview available for users.

And if in case the user wants to use the Webi Rich Client then the CMS Name Server Port(6400 by default),CMS Request Port and Input FRS Request Port needs to be opened.

If there is any firewall then they needs to be configured to allow communication to the fixed ports.

Yup! :smiley:

R.A. :philippines: (BOB member since 2008-10-28)

:smiley:
I have one final question. I know that for installing the Webi Rich Client in client machine i need to have license but is a license required to access Infoview in client machine. I heard that after SAPs acquisition the licensing has been changed.

Sorry for asking this question in servers section.

BOE is licensed on a NAMED user or CPU basis.

You would need to see what kind of license you own in CMC -> License Keys. It will tell you the kind of License you own and the version of BOE (Professional or Premium)

For NAMED user - there is no limit on the physical workstation a User can login from via InfoView, but each User MUST have a unique Named Account.

**Shared accounts (eg. BO_USER_1, BO_USER_2) where multiple employees know the same UserID and Password are NOT allowed.

For CPU - there is no limit on the physical workstation a User can login from via InfoView. The license is based on the number of physical sockets and cores that are being run on the harware that is running the BOE Intelligence and Processing Tier services.

MJRBIM :canada: (BOB member since 2007-03-23)