BusinessObjects Board

BOB's Fifth Birthday Contest

As mentioned in another topic the BOB community has just passed our fifth anniversary. We have come a long way in those five years, and for our annual celebration this year we decided to try and recognize some of those members that have been around for the long term and have really helped the community by their participation. So here are the rules for the contest this year.

This topic will remain open until the end of August. During that time we would like for folks to nominate BOB members to be recognized for their long-term support of the community. In order to qualify (be nominated) that person must have been a member for at least two years as of BOB’s birthday (meaning their joined date must be August 15, 2005 or earlier) and they must have a minimum of 100 posts. We want to recognize folks for their consistent long-term participation in the community. A members join date is displayed under their username on their posts as well as on their profile so that information is easily verified.

A member must be current in order to be considered for this contest. If a member has not posted within the last 12 months they are not eligible for the contest.

Yes, you can nominate yourself. :slight_smile: You may nominate more than one person. If someone has already nominated a person you don’t need to second (or third… ;-)) the nomination, just save it for voting in the poll. Poll results will be hidden until the final result is published, which will be at the end of September.

Members may opt to remove themselves from consideration for this contest but are under no obligation to do so. Members that have opted out of the contest will be listed at the end of this post. If you wish to opt out please post requesting that your name be removed from consideration and we will do that. Forum moderators are eligible to be nominated but moderator status is certainly not a requirement.

At the end of the month we will collect all of the nominations that meet the requirements and start a poll. In keeping with the philosophy of this contest (that it reward long-standing members) only those members that have been registered for at least 3 months will be allowed to vote in this poll. This is not intended to penalize new members but to ensure that you have been around long enough to be able to judge for yourself the merits of the contributions for each of the nominees. So our apologies to those of you who won’t be able to vote in this contest, but if you stick around (like many folks have) perhaps you will get your chance next year. :slight_smile:

The first place winner will receive a $50 gift certificate good for amazon.com (or the equivalent for your country if you cannot use the US site). The second place winner gets a final edition BOB T-shirt and hat, and the third place winner gets their choice of a shirt or hat.

To post a nomination please reply to this topic and enter the user name for the person you want to nominate and a brief sentence or two about why you are nominating that person. Anyone can enter a nomination, there are no restrictions on membership duration or post activity.

Members who have opted out or cannot be considered for other reasons include:
[list][:93dcdf6448]BOB, BOB Downloads, Bob Junior, Bobarella, Bobbie (all various folks serving as forum administrators rather than “real” users)
[
:93dcdf6448]Dave Rathbun (that would be me, and it would hardly be fair to award myself the prize :-P)[/list]

Nominations So Far
Andreas
Anita Craig
dnewton
Dwayne Hoffpauir
haider
jac
MichaelWelter
Nick Daniels
Steve Krandel
substring
wdaehn
Ted Michalski
MikeD

Two additional nominations were provided and considered, but the spirit of this contest is to reward long-term members with consistent activity. These two members certainly had their place in the early days of BOB but through no fault of their own have moved on to other endeavors. We have no problem with the efforts to recognize their participation, but they are not eligible for the current contest.
Cindy Clayton
digpen

[edit - changed the rules slightly to be only based on total post count rather than posts per year in order to make it easier to verify]
[edit - changed the rules to include the requirement that the member must have been active within the last 12 months to be considered]

Bob (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

I’ll start by nominating Steve Krandel. Steve is one of the reasons that I’m here. His generosity to me, when I was new to this world, taught me the value of sharing knowledge.

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)

Hi their,

I have been using this site just over two months :roll_eyes: and I really appreciate the help and value this site has provided. But strangely I just search what ever issue or error I see in DI on this forum and I find it here (some rarely on google).

As the archived post has been tremendous help I can’t really remember the names of users who had the solution posted as I didn’t thought of posting on archive post to say my thanks as it will bring that post on top of the list, so how do I go about voting if not nominating the archive post by every person who has posted the solutions or answers? :oops:

Just my curiousity on how to say thanks to everyone including moderators and admins :mrgreen:

I may sound like a real suckup but I love the web site :yesnod:

Btw Congratulations on the Fifth Birthday.

wasay :us: (BOB member since 2007-06-18)

Hi all,

Dwayne the vba expert and Nick the BCA expert.

Regards

That would be Dwayne Hoffpauir and Nick Daniels if anyone is unclear (not that anyone would be, I expect). :slight_smile:

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

I nominate Andreas and digpen.

tendulkar :india: (BOB member since 2004-03-15)

I don’t think digpen really fits the criteria of:

He has not logged in for over a year and his last posts were in November of 2005. He does fit the conditions as spelled out in the first post but I’m not comfortable that he fits the spirit of the conditions. :slight_smile:

I would like to nominate Dwayne Hoffpauir.

He does a great job on here for all the ‘usual’ products but his VBA/SDK posts are brilliant. I think many people appreciate the time Dwayne takes to clarify things, without actually writing the code for them. 8)

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Personally I’ll vote for Dave he helps us a lot of time and was one of the firsts active I remember.

My question is: how do you still have some time left for technology watch are you working 14h/days?

Congratulation to all others and to happy birthday to BoB

jp.golay :switzerland: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

He’s already nominated. :slight_smile:

[quote:c2bb9103c3=“jp.golay”]Personally I’ll vote for Dave he helps us a lot of time and was one of the firsts active I remember.
[/quote]

Thanks, but I am not eligible for the contest. :slight_smile:

More like 18. :lol: It is 2:30 am my local time, and I am up posting on BOB. What is wrong with this picture? :rotf:

Bob,
What are the prizes? :mrgreen:

~Maloy

itsmaloy :us: (BOB member since 2007-01-25)

Please read the first post, the answer is found within. 8)

I would vote for Andreas,
and I want to thanks wdaehn who helped me A LOT with my DI problems!

Happy Anniversary BOB! :mrgreen:

cedrickb :fr: (BOB member since 2005-08-19)

Hi BOB’s

I am going to nominate Dave and Haider for their continuous posting on various topics which helped to avoid breaking head of many BOB’s.

Regards

Siva.M :mrgreen:

looksmee :uk: (BOB member since 2006-02-08)

IMO, It’s going to be difficult to nominate a single BOB member of the year, but I would like to nominate WDaehn for his knowledgable and consistent contributions to the DI forums.

sae37 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-05-10)

It’s a tough call nominating one person, lots of people have contributed to the answers I’ve found over the years.

Mostly I can find answers by searching, but on the odd ocassions I have to ask a question, one person sticks in my mind, Steve K, simply because of his assistance with Webi/BusObj migrations from 5 to 6. (Still sticks in my mind after all these years - they were hellish times).

(I know the dude’s already nominated, but just wanted to mention it).

But thanks from me, goes to all the contributors.

C :bob: :bob: L

::Rich:H :uk: (BOB member since 2002-09-11)

It was a difficult choice for me between Michael Welter and Ted Michalski due to the number of jokes posted in off topic that have helped keep me sane during many hours stressful development.
In the end I have plumped for Michael due to his more recent activity in this vital area of BOB support.

irish_stan :ireland: (BOB member since 2003-05-13)

To clear a few things up: this isn’t the voting process yet. :slight_smile: You may certainly nominate more than one person if you feel inclined to do so, and we will ultimately have 3 winners during the voting process. I will go through this topic and call out those that have already been nominated so far and add them to the first topic.

Nominations are open through the end of August, please keep them coming. 8)

Since Michael Welter is already nominated, I would change the spot light on Miss J Middleton aka Jac

KhoushikTTT :us: (BOB member since 2005-02-24)

MikeD(Forum Enthusiast) would me my choice for technical input to this board.

mchoure :india: (BOB member since 2003-09-04)