BusinessObjects Board

BO WEBI Drilldown - openDocument

Hi Listners,
I have 3 tables namely company,contact and Product tables. I want set up a hierarchy to perform a drill down report. The drill down report should look like…

1. company details on the top level ( company name, addresses details)…
  2. when clicking on company name drill down to Contact details(contact persons, address, emailadress etc.,)…
  3. when clicking on Contact name drill down to Product details( product number, serial number, etc…,)

How can we accomplish on webi :?: How do I set up a hierarchy in the designer to accomplish this? Any suggestions/ideas please :idea: .

Thanks
Subash S

subashs (BOB member since 2002-08-16)

That’s not exactly drill down.

Drill-down means keeping the same columns but for a lower level within the hierarchy.

What you want is drill across.

You’ll need to create different reports for this and link them together. What you click on will be passed as a parameter to the other report.

Do a search on this forum for OpenDocument.

Steve Krandel :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

Any suggestions how we can do this on webi(drill across)? or Is this can only be done with full client. Where do I search for opendocument… Pl guide me. :arrow_forward: .

Thanks
Subash S

subashs (BOB member since 2002-08-16)

Use the search button on this screen on the right. Fill in Opendocument as the search term.

This link has some info.

Steve – doesn’t the OpenDocument function used in the example you hyperlinked above only work if one has SDK? I did a demo once based on something you put together (I think), and had slightly different format because we do not have SDK.

I defined a variable in my full-client report, with a cell format that is checked as “Read as HTML” on the Number tab.

Ignoring the spaces and carriage returns, a format that worked for me looked like this sample:

="<a href=" + Char(34)

• http://myserver.name/wi/bin/iswi.dll/WIGenerator/wigenerator/generator/OpenDocument
    ?sDoc=StaffCountsSchoolA
    &sTyp=R
    &iDocId=871
    &sRepo=my_doc
    &sOpen=Y
    &lsSSchool=” + + "
    &lsSBeginYear=" + UserResponse (“Query 2 with HR_Staff” , “BeginYear”) + "
    &lsSEndYear=" + UserResponse (“Query 2 with HR_Staff” , “EndYear”) + Char(34)
  • " target=" + Char(34) + “_self” + Char(34)
  • " TITLE=" + Char(34)
    • "Get Staff Counts for School/VP Area: "
    • + Char(34)
  • " >"
  • “”

Additional notes – Anita, 5/6/2003:

1. The + sign is used for concatenating strings together in Reporter.
  2. The Char(34) is a way to get an embedded quote mark into the final string.
  3. The “child” report being called (sDoc) is my “StaffCountsSchoolsA” report. It’s best to not have any spaces in the name.
  4. The “type” (sTyp) R is a full-client report (W would be for WebI)
  5. The iDocId is the repository document id – you have to query against the repository tables to find that (I used another query tool). (Obviously, the child document has to first be exported to the repository.) In this case, it is 871.
  6. The document repository (sRepo) is, in my case, cosmo_doc
  7. The sOpen parameter says to open the report. I don’t know if it’s required, but it got in as I was trying to get this to work!
  8. The lsS parameters are single-response parameters to be passed to the child report – its prompts. (I made them short and without spaces), followed by an equal sign, and then concatenate in the variable/object from THIS report whose value to use – which the user clicks. (Or, concatenate in the response to a previously-asked prompt.)
  9. The “target=_self” causes a window with “breadcrumbs” to parent report(s), rather than launching a new window.
  10. The TITLE="…" creates a little description pop-up window when the user’s mouse hovers over the hyperlink.
  11. The just after the closing “>” of the hyperlink is the object/variable, and what gets displayed to the user in the parent report.

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

I don’t do SDK.

There is an OpenDocument function in there also. But the method you described is exactly what I was referring to. You can do it in the report on by building objects in the universe.

Anita,

I am trying to follow the example that you posted on Dec 13, 2002 about Linking WebIntelligence Reports. The example is interesting because it shows us a way to pass prompt selections from the main to the child report. However, when I try to create an object in Designer, I am getting the following error message:

Parse Failed: ‘UserResponse’ is not a recognized built-in function name.

Do we need to create a function ‘UserResponse’? If yes, how do we create it?

You comments will be greatly appreciated.

Have a wonderful day!!

Thanks,
Shekhar
Experio Solutions

Shekhar Singh (BOB member since 2003-02-03)

UserResponse is a report function, not a Designer function. Your report should already have prompts in it. Those prompts can either be built in the Query Panel or in the universe using @variable or @prompt.

HI…
Anita Craig:

Just a question:
if i want use your code example,how can i see the report in the infoview option (viewdocument)??
thank you
Shingo

shingo (BOB member since 2003-04-19)

I don’t understand the question. The only way to view reports this way is via InfoView

i 'll try to explain me better:

Ok sure…you can see the report with infoview
but in Infoview you can choose how view the document for example:

INFOVIEW
1)Standard html
2)Optimized for my browser
3)PDF
4)In function of the browser

how did you set your option or witch format do you use for view the report
in infoview???

Ok??
Thanks amigos!

It doesn’t matter. If you viewing method is PDF, then the reports will come up in your viewing method.

The only thing that it doesn’t seem to do is to handle ZABO as the default method.

ok…i’ll try
thank you amigos!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Ok Steve,everythings work fine!!!

Than you a lot.
This code permit do not generate a lot of rows during the execute of the sql, i 'hope this permit a better report performance.

For view the reports in infoview, i use “in function of the browser” option
but the only thing that doesn’t work is the little description pop-up windows when the user’s mouse hovers over the hyperlink.(only standard html work fine)

If i use pdf option i’ve got a lot of problems:
1)during the exploration (with opendocument function) some blue frame appear under reports.I think this is a BO bugs,
2)if i move the mouse over the hyperlink i 'll see all the code about the open document function.
What do you think about??

Thank you for your availability

Bye Shingo

The blue frame is not a bug. That’s how it works. If your report has multiple tabs, then the tabs are displayed in the blue frame at the bottom.

As for the hover help, you can adjust that by putting the right information into your URL. I don’t recall what it is, but “comments” can be added to the URL so that the right comment is displayed.

The “hover help” in my example above is:

" TITLE=" + Char(34)

• "Get Staff Counts for School/VP Area: "
  • + Char(34)

Which becomes part of the URL that would read like (for example):
TITLE=“Get Staff Counts for School/VP Area: School of Law”

so that the hover box that comes up is:
Get Staff Counts for School/VP Area: School of Law

Ok Anita…
In my case when i use your good code,happen that if my personal setting in infoview for see the report are “optimized for my browser” ,i can’t see a little pop-up window,but the function work fine.

The only thing that i 'd like to change from your code is :TARGET="_BLANK" but this doesn’t work fine…
this is my code in my variable in BO full client:

="<a href=" +Char(34)+“http://spirito/wi/bin/iswi.dll/WIGenerator/wigenerator/generator/OpenDocument?sDocName=test clienti2&sTyp=R
&iDocId=1148&sRepo=documento
&sOpen=Y&lsSCodProm=”+UserResponse(“Query 1 con CSE_SVIL” ,“CodProm”)
+"&lsSData_rif=" + UserResponse(“Query 1 con CSE_SVIL” ,“Data_rif”)+"&lsSvalorerischio="+<Valore_Rischio>+Char(34)
+“target=”+Char(34)+"_blank"+Char(34)
+“TITLE=”+Char(34)+ “Drill "
++Char(34)+ " >”

• + “”

what do you think about??
what is wrong for you??

Sorry for my english i hope you understand me…

I am running off to a meeting – but I believe, that for this to work, you need to switch your Infoview setting to view HTML. Try that, and see what happens.

ok everything work fine only if i see the report in infoview in standard html…
but i can’t use this option because i lost all the page print setup :frowning: :frowning:

Thank you Anita

I’ve done the report linking trick from the Enhanced viewer, so HTML should not be required.