BusinessObjects Board

BO 6.5 repository migration

Hi,

I do have BO 6.5 repository at present and want to migrate all the contents into a brand new BO 6.5 repository.
One solution I could think of was using bomain key of the first one and setting up in second as safe recovery option through Supervisor.
But later I simply created new bomain key.For users and groups, i used Import option in supervisor. For Universe, I exported the universes which were few in number, but there are plenty documents(.wid documents) which I want to migrate.
I can think of Report Migration Utility, but I am not sure how to migrate .wid documents using this.Please suggest,

Regards,
Alok

alokkarn (BOB member since 2009-10-09)

Hi Alok,

Report Migration Utility is for migrating WebIntelligence 2.x (.wqy) to version WebIntelligence 6.5 (.wid) documents.

I don’t think its used for migrating it from one repository to another.

I would suggest using Copy database. :+1:

nicholas (BOB member since 2008-07-31)

Hi Nicholas,

Many thanks for the suggestion.
I would want all categories and reports same as in the first repository after I log into Infoview. Please suggest :expressionless:

Regards,
Alok

Hi Alok,

You need to copy the existing repository database to the new repository.

And now recreate the BOMain.key file and point it to new repository database.

Next, copy this new .ket file and paste it inside Nodes > Locdata folder so that InfoView should also point to this new repository. Make sure the name of the file should be bomain.key only. :+1:

Hi Nicholas,

Many thanks again for so prompt reply.
Greatly apppreciate it.

Regards,
Alok

Hi Nicholas,

I have doubt on the migration. once we copied the repository to the new location. We have to do the all stuff like Safe & Recovery then copying the bomian.key file. after that need to change the connection details in universe and document domain.

Here how to set connection to the application server to point to the Production.

And if we connect like this. Will we get any issues with existing environment

Pls guide me

Thanks

bouserbo (BOB member since 2010-10-27)

The BO web applications checks the Nodes > Locdata folder’s bomain.key.

So if this file is correctly replaced and pointing to your Production repository, the BO Web applications (InfoView) will point to Production repository.

You need to re-start the BO services after changing the bomain.key. :mrgreen:

Hi All,

If I do the safe & recovery in supervisor, will all the reports, users, groups and universes stores in new environment in the part of migrating the BO repository.

Pls help me…

Thanks

All the users,groups, universes, docs will remain. Only thing that connections at various places through supervisor has to be changed like document and universes domain.

Hi all,

one silly doubt is…i have to do safe&recovery in newly installed environment.my doubt is,how its collect the data from exact to that repository .means how SAFE&RECOVRY works actually

pls guide me…

Thanks

The safe and recovery works for redefining an existing installation or recovering an installation that was damaged.

You need to migrate all data from the source to detination repository. Ask your DBA to team to do that.

Thanks for ur repoly,

so,once i click on safe&recovery ,do i need to enter the DB credentials which we have already exported in the DB rep.

means how exaclty it connects to the exact BO schema.

thanks

The DB connection you define in safe and recovery should reflect the destination repository connection. This means you are defining security domain at this point of time. There are universe and document domains as well which you define after you launch Supervisor.
Go to Tools>Connections>Edit><target_connection>
In the repostory tab, you will find document and universe domains,re-define the connection to the target database connections.

HI,

can someone help on this.

Part of migration. We are planning to create copy environment and after set up of supervisor. How we need to connect application server.

thanks

You need to use Configuration Tool and configure Application Server with BO server.

If you choose the defacult installation, you will find Configuration Tool already installed on your pc. :+1:

Thanks for ur reply

Do I need to install the application server software in our PC(newly configured)…or else can we directly connect old application server(existed )

Pls crect me

You can connect to your existing application server. Just run the BO Configuration Tool and it will give you option to specify the hostname/ipaddress of your web-application server.
:mrgreen: