BusinessObjects Board

BO 5.12 Respos Migration Question

Hi - we are looking at migrating our BO ver 5.1.2 repsository to a new database.
When I come to create the new boamin.key file via Supervisor/Admin option can I keep it the same name for the bomain.key file even though the database details will change. I can keep a back up of the old bomain.key file so I can switch between the two for testing?

Thanks
Rachael

RachaelC (BOB member since 2006-11-16)

Hi Rachael,

You can name the .key file as you wish/need. The important thing is that the file has the .key extension.

So you can have more .key files in the Locdata folder with names like production.key, test.key, development.key, new_system.key, old_system.key, etc.

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)

Hi -

Doing a repository database migration and recreating a new bomain key.

Does the new bomain.key file on webi/broadcast agent actually have to be called “bomain.key” even though the generated one isnt?

Do jobs on the broadcast agent have to be rescheduled if the repository key changes or the connection string to universes change?

thanks

RachaelC (BOB member since 2006-11-16)

This is going back a ways, but from what I remember:

In v5, the key file does not have to be called bomain.key; however, each enabled BCA had to be associated with a specific .key file. This allowed a v5 BCA server to host BCAs from multiple repositories. So, if you change the name of the key file, you’ll have to reconfigure the BCA or create a new BCA.

I’m not sure if the same rule applies for WebI.

Of course, the safest course of action would be to keep a backup copy of the old key files and create new ones with the same names.

You should not need to reschedule any reports. All the schedule info is stored in the repository. The BCA simply plucks out the schedule info out of the repository as jobs come due to be run.

For what it’s worth, in e6 the key files on the server do need to be called bomain.key.

Joe

joepeters :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

This was the same in BO v5.x.

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)