BusinessObjects Board

BI4 vs BOXI3.1 WebIntelligence Applet performance

We are busy with an upgrade from BOXI3.1 (mainly Deski) to BI4.1 Sp6. The new BI4 environment will be used in Applet mode, but the poor performance of Webi in Applet mode is becoming a major problem. The environment is equipped with with sufficient CPU and memory and the server setup is checked by a SAP consultant.

Since it is quite difficult to define what a “good performance” is I made a new report in the old WebIntelligence (applet mode) containing 250.000 rows and made the same report in BI4.1. When editing these reports I can see a major difference in the performance. Especially when displaying 1000 records in the “Quick display” mode makes BI4 respons very slow and makes it onworkable, but doing the same in BOXI3.1 is no problem at all. For example clicking through the pages and selecting multiple columns (using shift) is taking easily 5-10 seconds, whereby in BOXI this is taking less then 1 second.

So shortly my question is; should the performance of the BI4 Applet mode in the most optimal situation (enough memory, cpu, no usage etc.) be comparible with the performance of BOXI3.1 in Applet mode?

Mark1981 :netherlands: (BOB member since 2006-08-30)

Have you tweaked the workstations JVM setings?

Mak 1 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-01-06)

Yes it should be. You’re not the first person that I’ve heard of with this issue. There’s a lot of tuning that I believe can be done at the back end to improve the performance of the applet as well as the server side.

Here are a few topics that might help:

BOB topics

Last post in this one:

SAP SCN
http://scn.sap.com/community/businessobjects-web-intelligence/blog/2014/01/17/setting-up-the-correct-client-side-jre-for-webi-rich-internet-applet

http://scn.sap.com/community/businessobjects-web-intelligence/blog/2013/08/27/webi-load-time-increases-after-jre-17025-is-installed-client-side

Yes, also the JVM settings are checked and optimized.

I had already seen the other topics on the tuning before, but was especially interested in the performance compared to BOXI3.1, to make it possible to set a “target-performance”.

Can you please provide some input on how this works on your BI4 environment (Applet mode)? The used report contains a total of 250.000 rows from a single dataprovider:

• selecting 15 columns using shift (SP6 function) (Quick display mode, 1000 rows) takes here 5 minutes,

• when showing 100 rows 15 seconds.

• switching from Quick display mode 100 records (15 columns) to showing 1000 records takes 15 up to 40 seconds,

• switching back to 100 records takes 5 seconds.

• clicking through pages with 100 records and 15 columns takes 2 seconds

• clicking through pages with 1000 records and 15 columns takes 15-30 seconds

It seems to be clear that working with 1000 records in display mode makes it unworkable, but I am wondering if this is normal behaviour. In BOXI3.1 all of this is no issue, working with 1000 records in the Quick display mode works flawless.

Thanks for your help.

Obviously a hell of a lot ofvariables, but I did some tests just the same.

4.1 SP2 Java 1.7.0_05

I also just realised that this was without any Java run time parameters applied.

Average 20s here.

This is about the same.

This is about the same

12 secs

Mak,

thanks for testing. I know there are still a lot of variables which can me a difference, but this gives me at least some insight.

What I notice is that i.m.o. the performance on your site seems to be slow, but maybe you have another perception. When I compare this to the BOXI3.1 performance the BOXI environment is really fast and handles without any problems 1000 records in Quick Display mode. Again I am asking myself if I am so critical or does the performance really need to be equal to BOXI3.1?

With the current performance it is quite hard to sell it to the user organization who are used to the BOXI3.1 performance (Deski and Webi).

I have always thought it was slower, prior to 4.1 SP3 it was even slower :roll_eyes: .
Because I have just had a machine rebuild, I was running these tests without the Java applet run time tweaks.

Also, I should add I’m accessing the BO and DB server from the UK, although they are both sat in Switzerland.

Unfortunately on this site, I cannot do any of the server side config.
The one thing I will say is a gain is the better stability.

So, we can draw the conclusion that dispite the fact that SAP is saying that the BI4 Webi Applet should be working like the BOXI3.1 version this is not realistic? Other people experience with BI4 Webi Applet compared to the BOXI3.1 version?