BusinessObjects Board

Best and fastest method to read SAP ECC

All,

I searched all the documentation about connecting to SAP Applications Datastore, but I did not figure out what’s the best method to connect:

Our task: read data, preferable only delta data from a set of SAP tables (for instance, VBAP, VBUP, VBPA, JEST, …)

Untill now we were working with abap dataflows but we encounter a lot of problems transporting our abap from dev to the other environments. (in combination with the shared directory method)

Is the RFC method better and faster (also taken into account the amount of data in the tables?)

Thanks!

aragornII :belgium: (BOB member since 2006-12-21)

RFC read table with RFC streaming will result in not requiring to transport ABAP.

However RFC read table is limited to reading 1 table, with if applicable a where clause.

Joining multiple tables will force you to use ABAP.

We are extracting the full tables to prevent code changes because for example 1 field was missing from a specification. As long as the delta is correctly defined, then you are okay.

Johannes Vink :netherlands: (BOB member since 2012-03-20)

Thanks for the reply Johannes,

So we are using the correct method after all :wink:
Even with the abap, you are getting all the data or did you built a delta mechanism for it?

I am also experiencing lots of problems with bods 4.2 / sap ecc 6.0 and netweaver 7.2

At first we needed to upload special transport files (the ones supplied with installation where not correct) but now we are running into
https://websmp230.sap-ag.de/sap(bD1lbiZjPTAwMQ==)/bc/bsp/sno/ui_entry/entry.htm?param=69765F6D6F64653D3030312669765F7361706E6F7465735F6E756D6265723D3137323334323026

Although the solution provided is not for our version and if we try to manually upload the function described it gives also errors.

Full loads for VBAK etc are not an option here :wink:

Most delta’s are custom build, based on standard SAP and standard indexes. So often a select on the creation date and changes via the change header table.

Do you have the transport files via SAP Note 1919255 - How to obtain transport files for Data Services and SAP Hana Cloud Integration for Data Services
and then have the transport files via SAP Note 1916294?

If so, then please contact SAP. It should work…

And in the SAP datastore the $TMP is defined?

I understand :slight_smile:
We have to make something here as well because these tables are huge and take a lot of time to get all data.

Those notes where indeed implemented, but the issue is with the transport of the abap program itself.

When we keep the default $TMP he is uploading into the system (abap exists, we checked) but the transport is empty. So he is not making the right link between the transport and the function/functions that should exist in it.

When we change the $TMP to the correct development class they are using for the ‘normal’ ABAP team, it results in the error 1723420 - Unable to load DS generated ABAP into ECC: error code <RS_CORR_INSERT:1>

But the attached aw_upload in that note seems older then the one delivered by SAP in the installation folder of BODS 4.2

We tried first the one of the installation folder but that failed.
Last attempt will be now the attached file and if that fails as well, then we have no other option than to file a new ticket.

Just a thought: could it be an authorization challenge?
Between the documention of 4.0 and 4.1, the 4.1 SAP supplement has an additional entry for package “$TMP”.

Not sure though, I’ve not encountered problems yet as we are still on 4.0…

I am afraid not, user has SAP_ALL :stuck_out_tongue:
So that can be excluded.
I searched in the documentation for the $tmp but its not giving more info it seems.
The user has the role S_DEVELOP since he is SAP_ALL.

Purpose: This authorization allows Data Services to run generated programs on the SAP server.
Use: DEV
Text (Description): ABAP Workbench
Class: Basis - Development Environment
Field Values
Package $TMP
Object type PROG
Object name List of temporary program names that are allowed to 
be generated
Authorization group ABAP/4 program Not used
Activity 01 and 02

Hopefully SAP can help me out with this, as soon as I get a reply, I will post the solution in this topic.

HI,

Are you able to extract data from VBAP or VBUP using ABAP dataflow mechanism without seeing much performance issues.

We are also seeing similar issue in our project. With huge volume of data in QA VBUP ran for 43 minutes and we need to run this everyday in PROD.

Please suggest if there is a way to reduce this performance impact and also best way to extract data other than ABAP dataflow.

Thanks in advance!
Pavani

pavani_yerra (BOB member since 2010-04-28)