BusinessObjects Board

BCA and API

Would anyone have any insight into this? We will have the latest versions of WebI and BCA (BCA on Windows 2000 Server, WebI on Unix, Sybase IQ 12.4.2 (or 12.4.3) data warehouse). Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

#1 Would it be possible to schedule a Report on Broadcast Agent Server from a external source by passing scheduling parameters (daily,
weekly…) from a external API or writing the scheduling information into the Business Objects Repository .

#2 If it is possible to Directly insert data into the Repository tables what are the constraints or proprietary restrictions on opening the Repository to be used as a open database.

P.S : We are working on a Project where our Business Customers can enter the Report Parameters for a Canned Report which can change every time they run the report and the customer also would like to schedule the report to run on a Monthly basis using the Same parameters. There shall be a Web Application where the users can Request Reports and enter Parameters (prompt) info and scheduling details , we are looking to see if can directly automate the process where Business Objects can pick the Scheduling Parameters from the Web API directly rather than going to the Business Objects Screen to Schedule the Reports.

Listserv Archives (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

Kari,

I have never done this, but I did see a presentation at the 2000 user conference that may address some of your requirements. The presentation was called, “Broadcast Agent Entry Automation,” presented by Kris Kelso of Renal Care Group, Inc. I don’t know if these are still available on the Business Objects web site. I have a hard copy. Basically, the process Kris described was using a Visual Basic application to automate the entry of jobs into BCA using the BusObjs API, and using an Excel spreadsheet as input to the VB app to hold the details of which reports are scheduled when and the run parameters.

Hope this helps,

Paula Guillory
Decision Support Analyst
Chevron Oronite Company LLC
Phone: 713-754-5759
Pager: 800-764-5159
PaulaGuillory@ChevronTexaco.com

[snip]

#1 Would it be possible to schedule a Report on Broadcast Agent Server from a external source by passing scheduling parameters (daily,
weekly…) from a external API or writing the scheduling information into the Business Objects Repository .

[snip]

P.S : We are working on a Project where our Business Customers can enter the Report Parameters for a Canned Report which can change every time they run the report and the customer also would like to schedule the report to run on a Monthly basis using the Same parameters. There shall be a Web Application where the users can Request Reports and enter Parameters (prompt) info and scheduling details , we are looking to see if can directly automate the process where Business Objects can pick the Scheduling Parameters from the Web API directly rather than going to the Business Objects Screen to Schedule the Reports.

In a message dated Wed, 26 Dec 2001 1:44:53 PM Eastern Standard Time, “Guillory, Paula (PGUI)” PGUI@CHEVRONTEXACO.COM writes:

Kari,

I have never done this, but I did see a presentation at the 2000 user conference that may address some of your requirements. The presentation was called, “Broadcast Agent Entry Automation,” presented by Kris Kelso of Renal Care Group, Inc. I don’t know if these are still available on the Business Objects web site. I have a hard copy. Basically, the process Kris described was using a Visual Basic application to automate the entry of jobs into BCA using the BusObjs API, and using an Excel spreadsheet as input to the VB app to hold the details of which reports are scheduled when and the run parameters.

This is certainly possible, and I have done this (or something similar) at several different locations. I would suggest investigating this route before trying to insert / update the repository tables directly, for a number of reasons. One (most important) is that you don’t void your support agreement. :slight_smile:

Next, if you go to the trouble of writing your code to insert directly in to the repository tables, and the repository structure changes (rumor has it that it may change with the next major release) then you have to rewrite your code. If you use the object model via VBA, you should in better shape for upgrades.

I do not know, however, if you can update an existing job’s parameters via VBA.

Regards,
Dave Rathbun
Integra Solutions
www.islink.com

Does anyone have this presentation that they could send? I can find the 2001 presentations, but not the 2000 presentations. Thanks!!

Kari Jacobson
515-248-5265
jacobsonkr@wellmark.com

Dear All,

I’ve the same requirement.
Please let me know any step by step guides on this requirement.

Thanks & Regards,
Ravi Kanth

ravikanthbn :singapore: (BOB member since 2009-04-16)