BusinessObjects Board

.bat program keep failing

hello All, this is our new BO 4.1 environment.

i have .bat program file script to move the file to another location.
when manually execute the script it works fine.
but I try to schedule it is failing with error message below.

Could not create temporary directory for program files

i updated the Local policy settings for the user account

create a token object, replace a process level token.

any thoughts much appreciated.

thanks
arjun

arjunanand :us: (BOB member since 2007-08-30)

Your user account also needs to have “Log on as a batch job” permission in the Local Security Policy.

Also make sure that you have checked “Run scripts/binaries” under Applications → Central Management Console → Program Object Rights. If you user account is not the account that is running your SIA, you will need to specify the credentials for it either at this location or in your program object.

thank you response JohnB

I already had this one in place I have put in the credentials in Program, scheduled instance and in CMC application as well.

I just updated the Local security policy for the user which runs on SIA which is same for the program Log on as batch job on all the servers since ours a clustered one.

I still get the same error
Could not create temporary directory for program files

does it have to do with the program schedule service? any thoughts?

The clustering could be the key. When you create your Program Object, the batch file is uploaded to the File Store. In the case of a clustered environment, the File Store should be on a shared server, usually one separate from the BI servers. When the batch file is executed by Business Objects, it is executed from the location where it is stored, i.e. in the File Store. If your batch file requires resources that are not available from this location or software that is not installed in the location of your File Store, it will fail.

Check you Program Object for the file path in the File Store, navigate to there in Windows Explorer (sorry, assuming you are using Windows servers, if not, navigate there how ever you do that on Linux :wink: ). Execute the batch file from the location in the File Store and see if it gives you an error. If it does, then your problem is there.

As long as the service is running on your Adaptive Job Server, there shouldn’t be any problems wtih this.

yup we are on windows machine…

when I navigate to the File store path, Input folder I see a lot of folders in there, how can I find the program object in the File store path?

please let me know

The file path to the .bat file is shown in the properties of the Program Object.

Thank you for response John,
I did browse the Location on the server and manually executed it same user id uses in the Program…

still same error message

There is most likely something that your batch file uses that isn’t available to it from the FileStore location. If it is calling some other executable, it may not be available in that location.

For example, our FileStore is installed on a separate server, if we create a batch file that references things in Business Objects, it will run fine when we run it on the server where Business Objects is installed. If we create a program object to run it, it will fail because we do not have Business Objects installed on the server where our FileStore is located.

thanks!!
which puzzles me more is we have setup in lower version XI 3.0.

with FRS in network location and clustered Enivronment.

.bat executes fine from Business Objects Xi3.0 its not working only in 4.1

I would say that there is something that is not configured the same between your XI3.0 and BI4.1 environments then.

If you provided your batch file I might be able to make some more suggestions of what to check.

.bat file doesnt have much simple command like to execute the vb script.
vb script has the actual archiving the file commands

@ECHO OFF
cscript \\Network_Shared_Location\Archive.vbs
pause

Are you running the SIA with the same account for your XI3.1 and BI4.1 environments?

Do you specify the user account to run the batch file in the program object properties? If you don’t specify the account to run the program objects under here, it will default to the account that your SIA is running under.

have Differenct SIA accounts of 3.1 and 4.1

I have it specified with the user account (4.1 SIA account though) to run the Program object under “Program Logon”

This could be where you are having your issue. Your account for XI3.1 could have access to the network location while your BI4.1 account doesn’t.

I assume this is in your BI4.1 environment. Try specifying the account that runs your SIA in the XI3.1 environment and see if it works then. If it does, then you know your XI3.1 SIA account has access to the network location and your BI4.1 SIA account doesn’t.

this is what I did in the 4.1 Environment I updated the Program LOGON with 3.1 SIA account and executed the Program object. Still same issue it failed on me

You don’t have any firewalls involved in your configuration for BI4.1 do you? This is the only other thing that I can think of.

I’m not sure what else to suggest at this point. I still think it is security related but without actually seeing your configuration and setup, I don’t think I can offer any more help at this point.

If you get any new information on it, post it here, it may trigger something else in my brain that would come up with a solution.

Hi All: Know this thread is a bit older but did anyone resolve this issue?

I am having the same issue and have confirmed it does NOT apppear to be the account that is configured, but the fact that under 4.1, the BI Platform appears to ignore them. I verified this by creating a .jar file that output the user under which the code is running. It spits back the “system” account for the BI Platform, no matter what is configured in the Program Logon screen (or under the Applications > CMC > Program Object Rights screen).

Still holding out it is something that can be worked around. Looking forward to a response and thanks!

Don Collins

doncollinsbi (BOB member since 2014-07-02)

Hi there
Acknowledging the age of this post but hoping someone can assist.
I am having the same issue.
Thanks

SarahG :australia: (BOB member since 2005-08-22)

Did you install 4.1 on a newer operating system than 3.1? If so, it’s possible that Windows Security changes are causing your problem. I would try making one little change to the .bat file so that it’s actually “in” the shared location before it runs and see whether that will resolve the issue. It would look something like this:

@ECHO OFF
cd \Network_Shared_Location
cscript Archive.vbs
pause

-Dell

hilfy :us: (BOB member since 2007-04-16)