BusinessObjects Board

Basic business query question - how does it work?

Hi Guys

Basically I want to know how Business Query hangs together. Am I right in thinking that to refresh an excel report, all that’s required is access to the Universe? Do I need the actual query files on my machine? As you’ll be able to tell, my knowledge on the topic is not great.

Thanks in advance

P

petrobo (BOB member since 2009-07-03)

Business Query for Excel (5.x or 6.x) requires a client-side installation (which requires a license key). It’s an Excel add-in so there’s not an executable installed But if you don’t do the client installation and set up the configuration properly, it won’t work.

Is this the BQ you’re asking about?

KSG :us: (BOB member since 2002-07-17)

I’m not even sure it’s a real product anymore. Meaning, you can’t purchase it, and it’s not supported. It was an add-in for Excel that let you write queries and retrieve data via a universe. As far as I know, it has been replaced by Live Office.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Yes, it’s no longer supported. I think if you have licenses from before, Business objects MAY sell you more. But they haven’t supported it for a couple of years.

Thanks for the replies guys. Indeed this is the Business Query Tool I am referring to.

The problem I have is that someone sent me an Excel spreadsheet, I installed Business Query but cannot refresh the report as it is telling me that the .bqy files have moved, I assume I need these .bqy files on my machine?

I already have BO access and can retrive reports from the universe that the excel spreadsheet is refreshing from.

Thanks

P

Ask the person who sent you the Excel documents to Pack the queries first ( by loading Business query and then Pack the queries in to the Excel document).

The queries will only then be availble to you once this has been done

Sushir Patel :uk: (BOB member since 2006-04-19)

which BO release are you using ? As it has already been said in the post, BusinessQuery doesn’t exist anymore. In XI, you have now liveoffice which has the same purpose and which can be used not only in excel but in other office modules also.

regards

bernard timbal :fr: (BOB member since 2003-05-26)

Hey guys

It’s BO v6. Funny thing is when I create a new Business Query report it refreshes successfully, however if I save the report then reopen it, it won’t refresh telling me the files have been moved. Anyone understand why this is happening?

Thanks

P

As stated earlier, make sure you pack the queries.

Sushir Patel :uk: (BOB member since 2006-04-19)

Packing does avoid the hassle with File Locations.

When you reopen the BQ, if you’re not using the same user as before (and in some cases, the same PC as before), you may have this issue.

Look at your File Locations. I’m not sure where it is in v6 but in v5, you’d select Business Query, then Options, and click on the File Location tab.

The “Business Query Files” location is where BQ puts the .bqy files (although there’s also a mess with the universe domain folder and the universe folder).

If you’re on a different PC, and it’s defaulting to the C drive, then you’ll get the “cannot access requested file” error.

If you’re on the same PC, but as a different user, and that different user has different file locations, you’ll get the error.

Excellent, thanks for all your input guys. It is much appreciated. I can’t try this at the moment, but will give it a go as soon as I can.

Also, how do you ‘pack’ the queries into the Excel sheet?

Many thanks

P

AFTER you verify that the query runs ok in your Excel file, select Business Query, Pack/Unpack, Pack Workbook. Then save the excel file.

The next time it’s opened, it should run. If it doesn’t, the failure is probably not related the your file locations or the “the requested file” error.