BusinessObjects Board

Assigned vs Granted

What is the difference between Assigned and Granted rights?

frank35 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-08-25)

A right can be granted or denied. Either way, it’s assigned. If a right is not specified for a principal, and not inherited, then it is unassigned.

joepeters :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

And to expand on that, a right that is explicitly Denied will generally override anything that is either Not Assigned or Granted. Not Assigned will effectively deny access unless the access has been granted to a user through membership in a second group that has access.

You should avoid using Denied as much as possible because it can have unforeseen affects. For example, on one of the forums I frequent (it may have been here on BOB or elsewhere) a guy logged in as Administrator set the “View Object” right for a specific folder to Denied for the Everyone group without understanding that [i]everyone[i] is in the Everyone group, including the Administrator account. He couldn’t understand why he couldn’t find the folder (View Object right was Denied) and also couldn’t add a folder with the same name because one existed already. Usually, setting a right to Not Assigned is the best way to deny access.

-Dell

hilfy :us: (BOB member since 2007-04-16)