BusinessObjects Board

Architecture Recommendation

First I would like to know how many users per BO Server are recommended.

Here is our scenario

We are currently having 100 users on a single IIS Server with BCA Publisher on the same server and using a Oracle Database.

We have another 200 users which are going to be added on accessing the same data on the Oracle Database using WEBI.

We will be having 100 users accessing an SQL Server database sitting at the same client location using WEBI or Full Client since they are on same physical location
as Database and server.

We will be having another 500 users adding in to the Oracle database over the next 4 years using WEBI (Total users around 1000).

We will also be deploying BO Dashboard Manager services for the same users within a month(For that we will go to Apache/Tomcat).

We will also be implementing a DataWarehouse within the next 6 months.

1. What I would request is what architecture should we go to handle the additional 100 users we will be having on the Oracle database in addition to the current 100 users.

2. Should the MS-SQL Server connection be included in the same BO-Server cluster or on a seperate Client/Server Environment
    which is seperate from the exiting BO Server. (The SQL server users are all based on the same physcial location as the BO server).

3. How many users per BO Server are recommended and how many servers should we use.

4. Should the servers be configured as Primary Nodes with Secondary or all Primary with Cisco router using algorithms.

We would appreciate any precise advise so we can start with our planning. We cannot get any help from any other sources

FALKONER13 (BOB member since 2005-04-26)

FALKONER13 Wrote:

Your post is so broad it will take more than 2 weeks to answer, there are so many things happening or planning in future at your side.!!!

Keeping all into consideration, I would suggest you should get help from a firm for atleast 2-3 days initially or in between whenever necessary to guide your company for this lengthy process of Implementation.

Good Luck

BO_Chief :us: (BOB member since 2004-06-06)

Please can anyone give me some suggestions or even part answers related to my query.

If at least someone can tell me how many users per server for WebI.

FALKONER13 (BOB member since 2005-04-26)

Please go through the pdf’s for server sizing, it is very well explained there.

I forgot the name of the pdf file…

Could anyone help him… or direct him… please

Thanks

Yes there is a server sizing spreadsheet in the downloads area

irish_stan :ireland: (BOB member since 2003-05-13)

As mentioned, that’s some request lol!
The scope of your sites intended expansion makes me suggest that you either broaden the scope to include all aspects of the architecture and possible future software implications, or break it down into manageable phases.
The fact that you are considering a 4 year cycle makes it imperative that you take the XI platform into consideration as it has a more efficient loadbalancing mechanism.
You mention specific increases in user numbers, but do you also know what type of interaction they would all be doing i.e. adhoc invetigative querying, canned report refreshing or viewing, data mart or data warehouse querying, minimal or complicated form layouts etc
Failsafe/ firewalls / subnets?
etc
I’ve mailed you a doc to broaden your considerations for such a task - feel free to contact me for any questions.

MikeD :south_africa: (BOB member since 2002-06-18)

I think irish_stan is pointing to this link…

https://bobj-board.org/t/56459

Hi MikeD,

We also facing the same situation in our deployment for server sizing. Can you send me the document to my email id - spjamjai@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance
Shabo

shankarbo (BOB member since 2005-11-14)

The document is attached to my previous reply at suggest an approach for web server sizing

MikeD :south_africa: (BOB member since 2002-06-18)

Hi Mike,

Thanks a lot.

Thanks
Shabo

shankarbo (BOB member since 2005-11-14)