BusinessObjects Board

Anyone planning on going?

If anyone is planning on going to the conference, why don’t you post a note here. Maybe this year we’ll finally get a “community gathering” scheduled.

I expect that I will be there, along with several other Integra Solutions folks. Anybody else?

Dave

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

I am getting ready to register I just need to confirm with my boss that it is ‘still a go’ for me to attend. This will be my first Business Objects conference and I am looking forward to going. I would also like to meet the other contributers to the forum (and listserv)
:smiley:
:slight_smile:
:smiley:

Michele Pinti (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

Not me unless something miraculous happens…

Cindy Clayton :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-11)

I got to meet some new faces last year (Cindy, for one). And see some old friends. With this dedicated discussion area, maybe we can actually set up an agreed-upon meeting area this year.

Me… Oh that was the BEST part. I met Dave, Steve, Anita, Luis, Mike, Stephanie, Julie, ChrisP, and I’m leaving out about 10 or 20 people 'cause the memory goes first when you get to 35! Man I wish I could go again!

Finalized my travel plans last week. FYI: some colleagues of mine suggested flying into Fort Lauderdale (FLL) rather than Miami (MIA)

Chris Pohl :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-18)

What is offered on Sunday at the pre-conference, is it worthwhile ? I couldn’t tell if there is an extra charge to attend and how does one register for Sunday?

The answers are probably there and I just didn’t take enough time to find them… :?:

There is an extra charge for Sunday, something they don’t do a good job of displaying.

A little history… the pre-conference stuff started out as standard BusObj training classes. At some point (I don’t know when) they started creating custom material that was available only at the conference. Last year I got to talk for a whole day about the difference between dimension objects, detail objects, and measure objects, and how to link data providers, create cross-universe queries, and so on. It was fun. :slight_smile:

They asked me to do the same class at the pre-conference session this year but said that the class would be lecture only. They are not going to provide workstations for the students. So I don’t think I will be doing the same material. :blue:

Dave

So do you think that the info on Sunday is for beginners or your not sure what will be presented yet? I don’t want to miss anything that I could use. Or … maybe I should sign up and go site seeing :twisted:

We always go down the Saturday before anyway, just to get a cheaper airfare with a Saturday stay. The extra night in a hotel is generally cheaper than flying in on Sunday.

I hear there’s a sight or two to see in Miami. :shock: :wink:

I have been to the last 3 conferences. The pre-confs I have attended were very helpful to me. (Dave’s was one of them) The cost is about the same as a one day class - around $500. Seems it’s a little more each year. But we had workstations. I need the hands-on. Wonder why they decided to do away with the workstations?

Peggy :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-21)

Easy answer: $$$ :smiley:

I attended Sunday sessions at the last 2 conferences and hope to again this year. The one I attended last year was great - a whole day to really understand the architecture, implementation and administration of WebI.

Have they posted the sessions they’re offering on Sunday this year? I can’t find a list on the BO website.

Norm Rosen :us: (BOB member since 2002-07-10)

I couldn’t find anything yet. I would like to go but don’t know whats offered or how to sign up :cry:

Me… <hmph!> hard to believe that $500 a head, not to mention the pricey conference admission couldn’t cover the cost of workstations.

dollars for workstations = (admission$+500) - bagel$ - oj$ - (receptioncost$+vendor_sponsor$) - pillshapednecklace$ - painter$ - …

It is not just the cost of the workstations. They had to do a lot of work getting the worstations set up and configured for 13 different classes. The logistics of packing / shipping / setting up 13 classes * 25 workstations was not insignificant. They paid for an extra couple of days in the hotel for all of the BusObj folks that had to go early to set up.

I still feel like the class would be better served if there were workstations. But that’s not the only cost involved.

Oh I was just teasing :wink: Gave me a chance to make a fake forumla :slight_smile:

I think they are also at a loss for what to teach. They have been redesigning their courses again, but haven’t had much new software out.

They’ve also let alot of trainers go.

Steve Krandel :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

Me… <hmph!> hard to believe that $500 a head, not to mention the pricey conference admission couldn’t cover the cost of workstations.

dollars for workstations = (admission$+500) - bagel$ - oj$ - (receptioncost$+vendor_sponsor$) - pillshapednecklace$ - painter$ - …

:-)[/quote]

I agree completely. We should tell them.

Peggy :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-21)

You don’t need a miracle. Be a presenter. It doesn’t even matter what you present. Once your name is listed, people will show up!

Elena Holland :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-18)