BusinessObjects Board

AnyMap

I’m trying to create custom maps for an Xcelsius dashboard I’m working on, but am having trouble finding the appropriate plug-ins. Unless I’m mistaken somehow, the marketplace that one could get the plug-in is no longer available from SAP? Is there another location where I might be able to find AnyMaps for download? If this isn’t possible, are there any other methods of creating custom maps in existence?

I understand GMaps exists, but I will be using this in a production environment, and the cost of licensing is just not practical for me.

ronc (BOB member since 2011-02-10)

Please, look here “https://information.ondemand.com/istore/#shopby=Marketplace/Xcelsius Add-Ons (All)”

AnyMap ist still available there!

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

Ah, I must’ve been mistaken then. In either case, I found that I am no longer able to sign up for an account on that website (I posted on the SAP forums about this, and was told Information OnDemand was discontinued), and thus, am unable to access the plug-in.

Would there be any other site outside of Information.OnDemand where I might be able to find the plug-in for download?

ronc (BOB member since 2011-02-10)

Somewhere on service.sap.com I would assume…

I am looking for a copy of the ANYMAP add on.

All I seem to find is that the SAP website no longer offers it and I keep getting pointed to a home page for a company that has apparently integrated it into chartng software, but doesn’t show/offer the add on ?

Any one out there know where I can get a copy of the Any Map Add on ?

Thanks !

phwrd :us: (BOB member since 2010-10-22)

Hi

This can help you ?http://xcomponents.blogspot.com

or else go to centigon solution website.

rizwan syed :us: (BOB member since 2010-07-08)

Thanks for your help,

but I don’t see where the Anymap is avaiable for download at that site.

I remember that there was a map component here that utilizes the Yahoo maps. But that isn’t what i am looking for.

Hi Phwrd,

Out of interest, what did AnyMap do? It is not too difficult to create an Xcelsius Map component similar to those in the Maps folder using the SDK. Is that the functionality you are looking for?

Bruce Edwards (BOB member since 2011-07-12)

AnyMap allows you to incorporate an svg file (=vectorized map), it does not require any coding/SDK skills.

Yes, Anymap should allow me to use downloaded svg files and not have to program maps. My background is in SQL & Crystal Reports, not on c# or sdk programming.

I am totally frustrated with the whole concept that in order to accomplish my tasks using xcelsius software, i have to beg for add on’s.

Or did i really miss something here ?

What is the map of and what functionality are you looking for? I may have something lying around that can help…

Using 3rd party add ons is a bad idea. Take a look at SAP’s fix pack rate, and ask yourself if a “consulting company” is going to update their components right along with SAP’s updates. While Im sure there are some out there, I have never met anyone who uses add-ons. I have met some cool kids who can use the SDK to do some creative things. There are public tutorials in which you can make a custom chart in a few hours. Its not hard, but it takes patience and set up time. definately Not any harder than learning crystal report syntax at a advanced level.

Anyway, instead of begging for add-ons, why dont you post your requirements and see if people have ideas?

I have a map in nearly dashboard I design and have never used 3rd party components.

Cairmor :us: (BOB member since 2008-06-05)

Well, welcome to my place, I have customers utilizing add-ons for Xcelsius…

Thank you very much for your advice,

My requirements are based on my employer’s desire to view the same dashboards from 3 different products and then expecting the same functionality found within each, in Xcelsius.

Hence, my frustrations with tying to learn and produce Xcelsius, SSRS and Dundas dashboards, all within a 3 week period.

What I need is the map functionality of SSRS within Xcelsius. That is, the ability to quickly convert files into interactive maps, including pin pointing down to the longitude/latitude level. This was done with SQL and shape files. Even Dundas allows you to import maps from shapefiles.

An example being the Country of India, which sap didn’t deem necessary to include. I can pull in a map as an image and bury icons behind it to allow drill down, but I can’t utilize it with full functionality within Xcelsius. No highlighting or labeling of regions/states, mouse over only by odd shaped icons . . .

My understanding is that the only way to do this is to either use an add-on mapping programs or try to program maps myself.

Since time is always too short for these projects, I don’t have the luxury of learning new languages or programming by trial and error.

Thanks to all of you for your time and your advice.

thats a hard req. programming xcelsius to meet the behavior of 2 other programs :slight_smile: In 3 weeks. Your client is insane.

Anyway, since you already know about icons and shaping them over other graphics.think about this.

Use the same technique, but on a small “thumbnail view” of your country/map/whatever. On click of an invisible icon, a huge version of that county/province/zipcode or whatever pops up next to your thumbnail along with tables of related information. The user interacts with the smaller map at first (to explore data ) then the larger map for drill downs and detail info. This thumbnail view for interaction makes the use of invisible icons less “awkward”.

If you just have to have something that highlights, on the icon hover, you can pop up little barely transparent rectangles that highlight the region/zipcode…in the thumbnail.

insane clients love and it looks/feels good. Does it mimic your other software? nope.

More exciting option (that doesnt cost you $$ in 3rd party fees):

In Adobe Flash CSx you can make a SWF map with perfect hotspots that mimic county borders. On hover these maps can pass a simple flash variable (x) to your xcelsius dashboard. Once you have that value, you can do your dynamic display thing in xcelisus. This is basic entry level flash work…if you cant do it you could hire a 15yr old intern to at least make the map. Does it mimic your other software ? sort of. Doable In three weeks? eh, maybe.

Cairmor :us: (BOB member since 2008-06-05)

Hi Cairmor,

Yes SAP has a high fix pack rate. The thing about Xcelsius though is that it only uses the Flex 2.0 Hotfix 3 SDK. That has remained a constant which is why 3rd part components will always work (Until the day SAP upgrades Xcelsius to make use of the features of 4.5 for example at which time the Flex 2.o Hotfix 3 SDK components will probably STILL work because of backwards compatibilty between the SDK’s) :smiley:

I had a similar problem with a map for my country, South Africa. I ended up creating a component so I’ve still got the source code. If you send me a simple map with the provinces or regions that are useful to Indians then I don’t mind knocking one up for you… The reason being that I might be able to use it elswhere - filling an obvious gap here :smiley:

Hi

If you contact me directly I can email you the AnyMap Add-on file (I have Matt Lloyds permission to do this)

An alternative you may like to take a look at is the SVG Controller from Innovista:

Hope this helps

UPDATE 18-Aug-12: From Aug 31 I will no longer be supplying the AnyMap Add-on file. Thank you. Charles

cdavies :uk: (BOB member since 2005-01-28)

@ phwrd

I’ve emailed you the file directly, but it may have ended up in a junk folder as it had done with Bruce.

cdavies :uk: (BOB member since 2005-01-28)

Hi Bruce, I am just wondering if you still have the customized South African map available? If so, is it possible if you can email it to me because I am looking to do the same thing for one of our client. Thanks in advance.

skatpeete (BOB member since 2011-11-16)