BusinessObjects Board

all reports have disappeared ...but only in webi ??

A colleague and me have just spent the last 4 hours trying to figure out what has happened with our reports.

For some users (including general supervisors) there is only a handful of reports available in the “corporate documents” list. However, if we log on as certain other users, their reports are available as normal.

We upgraded to BO 6.5 repository a year ago and most users use 6.5 full client. This works ok, but a couple of hundred users still use infoview 5 (webi 2.0?) to view reports. If I open Webi 6.0, the reports are all available! 3 tier/zabo works too.

Nothing has changed and there were two of us checking the same things, so I dont think we’re just being dumb!
I’m guessing theres a bug that may have been fixed - hence it works in the newer version - but we’re completly baffled. :crazy_face:

We’ve raised a case with BO, but thought i’d ask everyone here aswell.

We run on win2k servers (iis for webi 5, apatce/tomcat for webi 6)
Any ideas/suggestions welcome

Thanks

rob_bo :uk: (BOB member since 2005-08-04)

I would not have expected WebI 5 to be used against a version 6 repository. I’m surprised it seemed to work for even a while. When we upgrade, we upgrade the server in sync with the repository and desktop versions.

I suspect that BusinessObjects will tell you that you should only be using WebI 6 with a 6.x repository – that is, they should be on the same version.

So – what is your question for us exactly, since you mention both WebI 5 and WebI 6?

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

Thanks…

The intention was to upgrade everything in a phased approach. We converted full client users, but now we are looking to XIr2 so we didnt see the point in “retraining” 100 users for webi 6 when webi 5 worked just fine. Apologies - I must clarify that these users just use Infoview to view and refresh full client reports…no webi reports. (I must remember that these should not be confused!!)

The problem is that users - even general supervisors - can no longer see any corporate documents in infoview 5. No catogories or anything. This was just noticied yesterday. Nothing has changed on the repository. This has worked fine for over a year! Infoview 6 works fine - all catogorys visible and reports exactly where they should be.

The fact that it has just suddenly happened, makes me wonder if we have hit a “critical number” somewhere on the system. Maybe too many reports ? I’m just guessing.

Thanks

PS. (If anyone reading this wants to reply “just move to infoview 6”, please dont reply. This is not an immediate solution and is not worth discussing!!..though we may have to if a solution is not found) :expressionless:

This may seem a silly question but have you restarted the Bo services on your server since the reports started to disappear.

We have had a number of occasions when strange things have happened with 6.5. and when we try to restart the services the server will not restart all the processes.

One of the occasions was when new reports were being added to the repository, but they were not showing up in infoview on all of our servers.

Admittedly we don’t have a mixed version deployment, but the issue sounds similar.

Our only way out of the problem has been to completely re-create the BO 6.5 configuration cluster, app server web server orb etc.etc. :reallymad:

G.E.Davies :uk: (BOB member since 2003-01-20)

yes, stopped and started services.

we’ve managed to track the issue down to the corp.txt file - when we refresh our corporate list and the user has access to a lot of reports the corp.txt file is updated with nothing and therefore has a 0kb file size. If the user has access to a small amount of reports (below 50), then the corp.txt file is updated ok! We have had the same environments for over 2 years and this has just started happening. Any guidance on this will be very much appreciated.