BusinessObjects Board

Fan Trap Question

Can a fan trap occur to a conformed dimension table? Or it occurs exclusively for measure objects in Fact table?

I read so many documents on Fan trap but still I couldnt grasp the concept of fan traps :cry:

dillagi (BOB member since 2006-01-04)

A simple summary of fan traps: they only occur when you have measures and dimensions at two different levels. For example, in the chain of tables below:

[A] -< [B] -< [C]

If you have dimensions from A, B, and C, but measures only from C, then you do not have a fan trap.

If you have dimensions only from A, and measures from B and C then you have a potential fan trap that can be resolved easily with the “Multiple SQL Statements for each Measure” option in Designer.

If you have dimensions from A and B and measures from B and C then you are still okay, using the setting mentioned above.

If you have dimensions from A, B, and C and measures from B and C then you have a fan trap that cannot be resolved via the Designer setting and you must take more detailed steps to resolve the issue.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Dave,

Very useful and great information.!!

Briefly explained… wonderful points… to look for potential fan traps…

Thanks. :+1:

BO_Chief :us: (BOB member since 2004-06-06)

You’re welcome. :slight_smile:

Excellent Dave. This fan trap had always been a big confusion to me. Your explanation makes much sese. So what should be my approach if I have that last case. Is it aliasing and defining contexts? When i alias the middle table, i will define all measures from this alias table, what about the dimensions from this middle table, should I pick them from alias or original middle table? Thanks for your help.

zenmasterbo (BOB member since 2006-02-15)

I am looking for answer to this question as well.

dillagi (BOB member since 2006-01-04)

What happend if dimensions are from A and C and measure only from B?
What happend if dimensions are from A, B and C and measure only from B? is still Fan Trap?

Philip (BOB member since 2006-03-02)

just to finish of with Philip’s questions so that it might help future viewers…

if you have measures in B and Dimensions in C then the solution will be to create contexts

GandalfTheGrey :uk: (BOB member since 2004-10-27)

you can leave them in the original table

GandalfTheGrey :uk: (BOB member since 2004-10-27)

When you have dimensions from all three tables(A ->B->C) and measures from B & C, there’s one hitch after applying the standard fix of creating an alias for the middle table (B) and creating two contexts.

The hitch is - when you have a where clause on the dimension object from table C, that will not get applied to the query that takes the measure from alias of middle table (B).

cpmohanraj :australia: (BOB member since 2002-09-23)

That’s correct. It’s possible to address that with a sub-query, but you can’t apply a condition to table C along with A and B and avoid the multiplication issue of a fan trap.

Or do you have an alternative suggestion to make?

I do not have any other way than using a sub-query but this is little tricky for the business users who want to be able to have an intuitive universe.

cpmohanraj :australia: (BOB member since 2002-09-23)