BusinessObjects Board

Configuring Bo Publisher

Hi guys
we are going to install BO publisher module on our production server.
let me tell you more about our environment.
BO-5.1.7
Webi-2.7.3
IIS
Version: 5.0.2195 Service Pack 4 Build 2195

these servers are in a cluster.One being the Cluster manager and other acting as a node.

Is there any special backsteps we need to take to make sure this installation and configuration goes smooth.
I would appreciate if some one could tell me

1. Problems they faced in Installing and configuring BO Publisher with 5.1.7

2.what kind of precautions must be taken in case the installation doesnt go well.

1. can any one suggest me a best approach to Do this succesfully.

I appreciate all your in this matter,
If you need any more info about my enviroment please let me know

Thanks
Cooldude9in

cooldude9in (BOB member since 2004-09-28)

Cooldude,

I didn’t install for version 5.1, but I have installed for 6.5.1 many times. The deployment pdf was a good source for the first time I installed.

Here are some issues I ran into.

1. Publisher service would not start on it’s own or manually. To correct the issue, I had to turn the virtual directory to low security and I had to make sure the login account for the two BCAP services matched the login account for the WebIntelligence Cluster Service.

2. Once you have all the services running properly, you need to go to the recovery tab on the service property screen and change the first and second failure to restart the service. This is a good practice in the even BCAP and Webi Cluster don’t synch up right away.

Again, these were for version 6.5.1 and I don’t think you have all the same situations as you do for earlier versions. Maybe someone else can give you better information.

I did a search in BOB using “publsher” as my search criteria and found a great deal of useful informatioin. Again, you should start with the deployment pdf first.

Hope this helps,
Have a great day.

MayhewM :us: (BOB member since 2003-10-22)

Hi MM Sr

""Publisher service would not start on it’s own or manually. To correct the issue, I had to turn the virtual directory to low security and I had to make sure the login account for the two BCAP services matched the login account for the WebIntelligence Cluster Service. “”

can you actually me where would i find the virtual directory ??
and why would u turn it to low.??
the login had to be the same for the cluster and BCAP it makes sense.
2. Once you have all the services running properly, you need to go to the recovery tab on the service property screen and change the first and second failure to restart the service. This is a good practice in the even BCAP and Webi Cluster don’t synch up right away.

can you explain this step in little more detail please
thx for all ur help

PS hope u do like ur new name …I got u a new name this MM Sr

This would be in the IIS and I believe it should be BCAP. I’m not at a server right at the moment, otherwise I could give you a better answer. I probably should have looked it up before responding so quickly :expressionless: .

As for services, I’m not sure if an earlier version of publisher has the bcap service. Again, the deployment pdf is a better source, at least version 6.5.1 went into detail on the deployment. But, for any service, if you go to the properties screen and then “recovery” tab, you will see a section that tells the service what to do when the service fails.

I will try to get to my server later today and see if I can give you a better answer. I’m sure there are others here that will probably reply to your message as well.

Hope this helps.

P.S. You may want to go back into your last reply and amend your portion that says Quote and use the

Cool thx for suggestion it saves time and makes things clearer.
if u use the quote button.
I will wait… for u to do some tests.
i cannot do any testing cuz all we have is development and production.
and the only time the production server is going to be down is tomrow nite.
thats why i am trying to get my self prepared for this installation,
trying to gather more info

If possible, you want to try and upgrade your dev server first. See how it reacts. You can always uninstall Publsher and it won’t hurt anything (at least I’ve uninstalled and installed many times without issue). You do have to be careful with Publisher because it does look hard at the host and ip address for it’s configuration. Once installed and uninstalled, then re-installed, you may have to make a couple of slight adjustments. Again, I must direct you to the deployment manual for publisher. It is going to be your best source. In the meantime, you can review some of the resolutions at the BO website (Knowledge Base) and search for “Publisher” to get an idea of other things that may complicate the install.

Have a great day.

Greetings,

I wanted to send another update on this thread since I’ve completed a few more of this BO Pub 6.5.1 installs.

I had installed Publisher on a test box but was having difficulty getting the publication link from InfoView to work properly using port 8085. Eventually, one of my troubleshooting steps turned out to be “re-install” (I hate when it gets to that point, :smiley: ) I couldn’t get the Pub service to start afterward, but after stopping web services and then going into the Parameter Administrator and setting the host to the proper name and IP, the service starting working again. (sometimes we forget the simplest things :roll_eyes: )

Hope this helps.

One other note: If you are using strictly JSP, you may need to go under the Global Parameters in Parameter Administrator and change the value of webservertype to JSP. I think the default is ASP.

Publisher does have the same 2 services in version 5 what you will find however is that one of the services dosn’t get create by the install on you have to do it manually. See tech support site for details. personally i wouldn’t touch publisher until v6.5.1 as this is the only version i have had working and stable for prolonged periods. I found thta version 5.1.x was troublesome to install and configure didn’t ever work in some cases and was flakey at best. It seems that alot of the problems have been sorted in 6.5.1. also there is little BO can do to help with Publisher as it seems there are only 1 or 2 people at BO that know anything about the product.
(This being down to the fact that most of the developers left one would assume) SO in a nut shell if you are going to use publisher i would upgrade to 6.5.1 first. 8)

komoshon :uk: (BOB member since 2003-07-14)

Hi,

I have the same problem , I have upgraded the server to 6.5.1 and followed all the steps mentioned above , but bca publisher application service never starts and when I clibk publications in Infoview , it gives me cannot connect to the service BAW003 error .

Any suggestions , I’m stuck and all confused.

Thanks,
Anu.

saki (BOB member since 2004-01-22)

Hi,

I have the same problem , I have upgraded the server to 6.5.1 and followed all the steps mentioned above , but bca publisher application service never starts and when I clibk publications in Infoview , it gives me cannot connect to the service BAW003 error .

Any suggestions , I’m stuck and all confused.

Thanks,
Anu.

saki (BOB member since 2004-01-22)

Greetings,

Have you made sure your BCA services have the same login account as webi?

Hope this helps,
Have a great day!

Even I am facing problem in running up the BCAP service. I contacted BO customer service. He sent me HotFix880. I installed and still the service doesn’t start. Does anyone here successfully installed this hotfix and make service run? If you any idea please do post it here.
Thanks
Taurean :reallymad:

Jors (BOB member since 2005-05-31)

I had the same issue.
Go into the Parameter Administrator and set the host to the proper name and IP. This will work!

BOGURUG :us: (BOB member since 2003-09-15)