BusinessObjects Board

Wish list for new release of BusObjects & Webi

I wish I could turn Filters ON/OFF similar to Alerters (instead of removing them as the only way to turn filters off or using the NoFilter function on every single object within a report) within a report.

I wish I could easily re-use/re-apply filters in a different report tab within the same BO document (similar to Alerters) by checking an ON/OFF box.

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

I wish that I could see the help text associated with universe objects not only in the query panel of BO Reporter, but also in the “Report Manager Window” pane on the left after I refreshed a data provider (looking at the report output).

You can see the help text in the variable definition window (Data + Variables). I know it’s not what you are asking for, but it is available.

On another note, someone should go through this topic and see how many of the “wish list” items made it into version 6. 8)

Dave

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

I’m sure you’ve come across those documents where the slightest change results in ages of generation time?

It would be great to have better control over the ‘computing data’ process. I’m convinced this is full of bugs because it performs all synch’s etc. EVERY time you make formatting changes - IN CERTAIN DOCUMENTS.

What is needed is a switch that says to BO reporter “I’m not bothered if the figures are bang on, just show me the effect of my formatting operation” - you’d then turn it off after a few changes to get a FULL update of the document’s appearance.

philmorris :uk: (BOB member since 2002-11-12)

Anyone feel up to the task? :twisted:

I realize that many folks have not had an opportunity to fully review the new product, but it would be an interesting exercise. For someone else, of course. :lol:

Dave

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

That is on my wish list:

A simple setting under options in BO Reporter that will “ignore” the message “No Data to Fetch” and continue to refresh the other data providers in the BO document without waiting for an end-user to press the OK button (without the need to implement a VBA macro to set Interactive to false).

Another wish:

Being able to select more than one column in a table and being able to do a calculation (such as SUM) on all selected columns in one swoop.

While I’ve just gone and broken reporter with an unbelevelbly stupidly long query,

Well this is my cut down version:

1. Print option in the SQL viewer. Fed up pasting it to notepad
  2. Object description for a developer. the description just now is for users - I can’t always remember why I built object x
  3. Give a list of which objects are obsolete
  4. Remove the Arrange Tables option in the Designer module. OK I know why its there but…
  5. Related to point 4 - more undo’s in Designer - why i it still only 1?
  6. If I have a table and a chart and drill, I want both the chart and the table to be drilled - not one or another
  7. Not letting me build unbeleivebly stupidly long queries.

That’ll do nicely

dezza :poland: (BOB member since 2003-06-10)

To be able to limit the query like in the old WEBi. I have looked but did not see how to do this. The feature could be there but I did not see it.

Randy Jones :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-19)

When the server has reached the point of not being able to process any more requests to display an intelligible message like “Unable to process request - please try again later” or something to that. At this time I get a “user session timed out” message.
It would be better if the system would just queue the request and process it when the server has resources. If the user wants to wait then the can.

Randy Jones :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-19)

I wish that @AA objects would remember what tables they’re from so when you right click and say ‘show me associated objects’, they would be highlighted.

Cindy Clayton :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-11)

Ohhh how about drilling into detail objects. Makes sense to me.

I am not so sure about drilling into detail objects. That is one of the definitions of a detail object, not being able to drill on it…

If you need to drill on it then it should be a dimension object according to BO philosophy.

I wish universe connections would be treated like resources and access could be granted on a per connection/user level - this would prevent Designer B from using universe connection A to create a universe for example.

Andreas wrote:

I meant drilling into details - not from details

Regarding:
Orphant personal documents on the WebI server after deleting a user.

I wish:
Business Objects Supervisor would somehow take care of this mess and automatically prompt the supervisor when deleting a user ID along the lines of: “There are personal documents for this user, do you want to transfer them to another user”

Three more wishes:

A) Being able to repoint WebI v6.x documents to different universes easily

B) Being able to assign a z-value to any cell, table, or chart, which would determine the order any overlapping charts, tables etc. would display (in other words which table would be displayed in the foreground and which table would be in the background if two tables are overlapping each other).

C) Business Objects Supervisor would somehow take care of this mess and automatically prompt the supervisor when deleting a user ID along the lines of: “There are scheduled documents for this user, do you want to transfer them to another user”

Amen!

Internally we are working on a process to have all scheduled reports cc’d to a dummy BO ID (has no database account) so if an ID is deleted and there is an important scheduled report that didn’t get migrated on the user side to another account we’ll be able to retrieve a copy.

Also, I’ve been kicking an idea around with some folks at BO about improving the BCA’s functionality so its more administrative. Like being able to limit jobs per ID, etc. see how that idea gets along.

csievert :denmark: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

From my Pet Peeves in Designer posting (https://bobj-board.org/t/34641/8):

Re-design the Edit Context dialog so that it is easier to use.

One idea:

1. Make it similar to the Pivot tab of the Format Table dialog, with 2 list boxes that have arrow buttons “Add” and “Remove” between them. In the list box on the left, display all available joins. In the list box on the right, display the joins that the user has added to the context. (Remove these selected joins from the list box on the left as they are added.)

Other ideas:

1. List the available joins by tables involved (alphabetic sort), not in the seemingly random order in which they are displayed today.

2. Dialog should allow the SHIFT key to be used in order to select multiple joins at once (SHIFT = inclusive range, CTRL = additional selection, not necessary an inclusive range).

If anyone has further ideas, please add 'em here. Should I also go ahead and submit an enhancement request?

Judy

JMulders :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

Actually, they’re not in random order. They are listed in the order created. But I agree with your suggestions here. An enhancement request would be awesome.

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)