BusinessObjects Board

Zabo vs Full client

Hi,

I have been writing reports using Full client. I heard of Zabo but never worked with it. I want to just have some thought of what Zabo is and that does?What are the main differences between full client and Zabo?Could you please throw some light on this considering that I have never seen Zabo.

Thanks In advance.

geetha58 (BOB member since 2004-06-23)

Please use the Search function and you’ll find many past discussions.

If you want to narrow your search, just search in the General Discussion forum.

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

Anita’s suggestion is valid, and by searching you’ll get more thorough answers. I’ll give you the highlights though. Installation is done via InfoView, so no workstation by workstation installation is needed. As far as reporting functionality, ZABO and full-client are identical. The difference is database connectivity. With ZABO, all database connections are managed by the ZABO server. With full-client, database middleware and related configuration is on each workstation.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Thanks, Dwayne – I was much too rushed, you were right to summarize it – and, that’s a good summary.

In fact, I’m going to add it to the Reporter FAQ. If anyone wants to elaborate, we can expand in the FAQ.

So a Mea Culpa to me – and here’s the addition to the Reporter FAQ.

The only problem i have had with ZABO isthat you cannot change the standard installation. For our DB2 installation we have modified the ODBC DB2EN.MDB file But everytime ZABO is downloaded it puts in the standard MDB files… So somebody has to go in and apply the bespoke file.

Rather negates the point. Definitely :!: Not “Zero Administration” Business Objects. :frowning:

G.E.Davies :uk: (BOB member since 2003-01-20)

G.E.,
Great point. Sounds like they should have called it SABO (Slight Administration BO) or MABO (Minor).

Nice thing in V6 is that you PRM changes can be made at the universe level. This reduces the need to pass out PRM files. It also makes ZABO closer to zero admin.

Steve Krandel :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

[quote:e050743c9a=“G.E.Davies”]For our DB2 installation we have modified the ODBC DB2EN.MDB file But everytime ZABO is downloaded it puts in the standard MDB files…
[/quote]

There must be some sort of cab file that ZABO downloads that needs updating - have you by any chance reported this to BusinessObjects as a problem? They might tell you what/how to update a ZABO download file.