BusinessObjects Board

ZABO/ Full Client

If i am using ZABO do i need to have

(1) BO Full client installed in my machine?

(2) Do i need to secify ODBC connection in my workstation.

—Thanks for your help

—Alex

alex555 (BOB member since 2005-06-14)

I don’t think you have to install FC on client machine. That’s the advantages of using Zabo that you don’t have to install FC on any client machine. Zabo uses existing connectivity…so you don’t have to define a new connection.

hope this helps.

M-

Mohammad T. Hussain (BOB member since 2004-09-21)

To add to Hussain bhui’s response, the only thing that you’ll not be able to do with ZABO is running free hand sql and stored proc reports.

kashif

Kashif Saeed :pakistan: (BOB member since 2004-06-02)

Guys,

Thanks for the reply. Now i was using a new PC. when i when to infoview and try to use a ZABO it prompted me and installed BO FC. I do not have any idea how and from where it came. Now in my PC i have BO FC installed in locdata file i have different type of key not exactly a BOMain.key.

Could you please help me to understand what happened and how/from where BO FC got installed in my PC? Do i need to purchse a BO FC lincense now?

I am confused. Please help me.

Alex

Before answering to your questions, I would like to know what version of BO you are talking about.
Basically you are getting confused between FC and ZABO, go through this
Now tell me about these:

1. if you are using BO 5x what are the file you are seeing in LocData folder.
    C:\Program Files\Business Objects\BusinessObjects 5.0\LocData
  2. If you are using BO 6.5 then what are the file in:
    C:\Documents and Settings\alex555\Application Data\Business Objects\Business Objects 6.0\lsi

C:\Program Files\Business Objects\BusinessObjects Enterprise 6\LocData

If your PC got Full Client and ZABO installed, when you go to Start–>Programs --> BusinessObjects in the Security Domain drop down list you will find both keys (FC and ZABO). You can identify these keys by seeing Icon.

Full Client Key: Computer Icon
ZABO Key: Globe icon.

Hope this will clear your confusion .

murali :new_zealand: (BOB member since 2002-08-16)

Murli,

Thanks for you help.

I am using BO 5.1.9 and in locdata file i have a key looks like following:

servername.rkey and servername.key

They are in C:\program file\Business Object\Business Object 5.0\Locdata

I am sure i never that a folder called Business Object in this directrory. It got loaded when i tried to download a report which have drill option.

As you asked me i can see a globe. Also if i go start—all program—i can see BO 5.1 full client. I never had this before.

Could you please explaine he what happened? From where BO FC got installed? What is the source for that?

Please help me.

Hello,

the SW that you suppose to be a BO full client is in reality a ZABO. The indicators that it is really ZABO are:

• an icon of the key is a globe and not a PC
  • you have *.rkey file in the LocData folder
  • it was installed suddenly out of nowhere when you tried to download a report. Such behaviour is normal for ZABO, better said it is a feature.

And where was it installed from? ZABO is installed from the BO server.

Marek

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)