BusinessObjects Board

XI R2 Architecture/Sizing

If dashboarding were the only factor, this would be a lot easier.
Had you noticed the lack of a BOMgr function for Deski reports in XI? (I think misstated the busobj.exe/CPU ratio earlier - should be 16 per CPU.) Still, if every Deski session takes up a process, that’s quite a load. We’re starting to negotiate licenses; they are suggesting CPU based instead of Named User and I’m leary of this. Converting to Webi and CPU licensing might be a windfall, though.

Ke6n Swindlehurst :us: (BOB member since 2003-09-16)

You forgot the fact that DeskI is merely a temporary solution that BOBJ came up with. There is no long term plan for DeskI and they will try to phase it out in subsequent releases (Please mark the word “try”. Whether they can succeed is another story). But if I were you, I will not be comfortable to move to something that is controversal and might be obsolete in the next 5 years
well, unless you have well thought-out plan to move out of DeskI in the next couple years.

substring :us: (BOB member since 2004-01-16)

IrishStan, thx for the recommendations. Do you know how to check on the items you noted:

[list]Number of CPU’s 4
Type of CPU xeon P4 1.5 Ghz Minimum
Memory 4GB Min
Disk Size 4GB min free space + Storage
File System Type NTFS
Swap Space default
Disk Type SCSI
Network Client to Middle Tier 100 Mbps
Network CArd Type Ethernet
Network Card Number 1[/list]

Greentrees (BOB member since 2005-11-18)

We are in process of installing BO XI r2 in our company and would like to create a cluster for failover. The cluster type we want to go for is exactly what you have mentioned here
 2CMS and 2 Web APP servers on two different boxes.

Can you please guide as to how do we start? I mean, do we do ‘New’ install on both the boxes and then configure them? Or ‘New’ install on Server 1 and ‘Expand’ install on Server 2?

I guess we would have to do two ‘New’ install since expand install does not install app server. What files will we need to configure post installation? I would appreciate your help.

Thanks

bits06 :us: (BOB member since 2006-04-21)

This is what you do with them both pointing to the same repository using the same CMS name. You are simply having 2 servers running the same process (XIr2 server) on 2 different machines.

Consider too installing everything on each of your machines but not enabling each server process. This way should you have processes fail on the other machines, you can quickly enable the servers/processes as needed.

csievert :denmark: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

I tried this method of installation. But the problem I am having is when I do expand install on the second server, it does not install the application server (Tomcat). So only the server1 has Tomcat and if that goes down, BO goes down.

Will these XI servers enable themselves if Server1 goes down? How will the failover work? Will I need to configure web.xml file to mention the name of the cluster?

Thanks

You don’t need to use BOBJ’s Tomcat install, you can install it using a regular Tomcat d/l for installation.

Enabling each service to compensate for a lost server/machine is a manual process so once you were made aware of a machine going down you would have to manually enable the servers/processes on another machine.

You would need to install and configure each machine identically (great practice :smiley: )

csievert :denmark: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

Then it does not make any sense for failover. I thought the process is automated, that is why you create a cluster. If any time, one of the servers go down, the other server will automatically take over the load.

Anyways, this is my scenario:
Full BO Xir2 install on Server 1 [Tomcat]
Expand install on Server2 [No app server]

It creates a cluster. I see all the servers from both BO in CMC. When I shutdown any one CMS, everything goes down. And after that I cannot bring them back up.

This is just a basic Expand install. Do I need to configure web.xml, ccmconfig.sh or any other file?

Thanks.

Hello,

As anyone one a feedback on use of 2 CMS services with 1 CMS database both on the same 8 CPU Box ?

Cheers,
Laurent.

Laurent :luxembourg: (BOB member since 2004-08-25)

Regardless of the number of CMS servers (really services), you can only have one CMS database, so you’re OK there.

Two CMS services on one server will give you the ability to handle more requests than one service could, but won’t give you true failover, because if the server goes down you’ll lose both CMS services. If possible, it’s better to split the CMS services (and others) across at least two physical servers so if one server goes down, the other server can temporarily handle all of the requests.

BO has a sizing guide that is an excellent resource:

http://support.businessobjects.com/communityCS/TechnicalPapers/boe_xi_r2_sizing_recommendations.pdf

HTH -

DJ

DJ06482 :us: (BOB member since 2002-11-22)

Hi,

Thanks. I know the guide but in my mind you could not start 2 CMs services on the same hardware at the same time on the same cluster and CMS Database.

Here running performance test will block around 150 cincurrent users and I’m not in position today to change the DB from MySQL to SQL Server 2005. Then I’m more inspecting the CMS services response time to close this point.

Cheers,
Laurent.

Hi,

Have rechecked. Ths simple add of a CMS service on the same DB on the same cluster work but the service does not start even on a different port.

a new cluster is mandatory ?

cheers,
Laurent.

A new cluster isn’t mandatory, I added a second CMS service to a single-server deployment without any issues. I added the CMS service, changed the port to 6500 (and unchecked the “use default port” option), and set the CMS service to log in using a network account.

The service started fine and I continued with some configuration:

• Verify the new CMS has been added to the CMSClusterMembers entry in the registry (it should be appended with a “:6500” for the port number of the new CMS)
  • If you’re running Performance Management, you’ll want to update the InitConfig.Properties file
  • I deleted the LocalHost file under \Tomcat\Work\Catalina
  • Restarted Tomcat

I stopped the original CMS and was able to login and perform basic functions without any issues, so this tells me the 2nd CMS was configured correctly.

HTH -

DJ

DJ06482 :us: (BOB member since 2002-11-22)

Hi All,

In the BO sizing document I came across this statement

“Run 1 Web Intelligence Server service for every available CPU 1 Web Intelligence Server service having 1 availableCPU can support 25 – 40 Maximum Simultaneous Connections”

So does this mean if I have 160 active concurrent users then I need to have 4 WebI services running in a Quad processor.

I am really confused. Can anyone help me in understanding the statement, as to me this means with every increase of 40 active concurrent users one processor needs to be increased?

Thanks in advance.
Have a nice day

sukalpo (BOB member since 2007-04-17)

Hi All,
Another thing I need to ask is that for the webi Service also it is saying that memory requirements depend on complexity of reports and if reports need to be refreshed. In our case 54% of the reports are very complex and all of them are refreshed. So what GB of RAM should we acquire? The sizing document does not give any clear idea on this Memory part. Can anyone help on this too?

Thanks.

sukalpo (BOB member since 2007-04-17)

I have to disagree with this 
 one of the most powerful features that our users have lost when using Webi instead of DI is being able to load a spreadsheet from their desktop and link this data with existing universes without any reliance upon IT. In webi there is no such facility and all data sources have to come via pre-developed Universes.

Zulfiqar_Taj (BOB member since 2002-09-16)

Here is some information on the XI R2 Architecture and Sizing/Capacity Planning

EnterpriseArchitect :us: (BOB member since 2006-03-23)

Let’s see if Business Objects will take care of this issue in a future version.

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

My understanding (from our contact at BusinessObjects) is that Personal Data Providers will be supported in Webi as part of XI Release 3.

mplant (BOB member since 2007-04-18)

Hello can any one provide me with information on “recommended settings guide for XIR2” in windows .

I was not able to find any such guide . please help

Thanks

bouser4 :us: (BOB member since 2007-03-23)