BusinessObjects Board

XI Directing Where New Data is Inserted into a Report

If you add a new query in WEBI, it asks you where you want to put the data… create a new table, run but don’t insert, etc…

I have a DESKI report that is going to be HUGE (over 100 columns), and I want to create it in meaningful segments across multiple tabs. As I started to build it, I created the 1st segment query and DESKI built the 1st tab.

Then I went back and created a new query for the 2nd segment, but it doesn’t ask me if I want to create a new table with the new data… It just adds the objects to the list, which is a pain in the ‘you know’ because now they’re in alpha order instead of the order I put them in the query, and how they would be displayed if a table were generated and I have to completely build the new table.

If I add objects to the original data provider, it’s even worse, because it seems to randomly insert the new columns in existing tables soyou have to pick through, delete them from the exisitng tabs as well as having to create the new tab from scratch.

It may not seem like a big deal, but when you have 10 tabs with dozens of columns each, the bigger it gets, the harder it is to pull out the right items inthe desired order.

It there a setting somewhere that I’m missing that would auto-generate a new table when a new data provider is added?

There has GOT to be a better way… :hb:

datagal :us: (BOB member since 2005-12-21)

Hi Jody,

How do you add a new data provider into a DeskI report? Is it by going to menu Data -> New Data Provider?

What you could do instead of this is the following:

• insert a new tab (report) into the document
  • use Insert Table icon from the report toolbar (or use menu Insert -> Table) and
  • click anywhere in the empty tab where you want to place the new table
  • then you create a query in the Query panel
  • and a new table will be automatically created and populated with data from the new data provider

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)

That worked! Thank you!

datagal :us: (BOB member since 2005-12-21)

Another option. There is a method included in the VBA object model that duplicates the “default report” functionality. I added it as a feature in this utility. For those interested, the syntax is something like this:

ThisDocument.Reports.CreateQuickReport("data provider name")

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)