BusinessObjects Board

WRITING VBSCRIPT(MACROS) IN BO XI R2 UNIVERSE DESIGNER

I am using BO XI R2 and I need to use vb script(macros) in universe designer.

I have few questions on dat:

1. Where shud one write vbscript coding in universe designer( bo xi r2)
    2)I have four universes and Using BO SDK the VB script must iterate through all objects in the universe, checking for SQL fragments. Each object will be passed to a conversion routine that will check for the syntax differences, Joins, and SQL Completeness.
    so i need to write vbscript coding in universe designer for converting those universes from a old database checking all the syntaxes of the new database
    can any one help me out and send me the requested code. my email id is [removed - Dave Rathbun]
    thanks

prashanthreddy9 (BOB member since 2008-02-27)

Welcome to B:bob:B!

As far as where to write the code, Designer itself is NOT a VBA host, so you will have to use something else. I use Excel mostly, but occasionally I use Desktop Intelligence as well. In the VB Editor, go to Tools, References… and add the Designer object library.

As far as sample code, I would start with this utility … Document a universe using Excel and the Designer SDK. It will at least demonstrate how to instantiate a Designer session, open a universe, iterate through all the different pieces of a universe, etc.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

hi dwayne,

thanx for ur immediate response.:slight_smile:

I think it wud solve my problem using the code.

If at all I have any problems on this I wud come to u.

thanks again dwayne…

bye

dwayne

Can you tell me

1. how can we connect to bo universes in the excel? do i need any library for doing that? can u send the library file

2. can u suggest me vba code for pulling universes from the old database and compare with the new database

thanks in advance

Everything you need is installed when you install Designer, and I’m not sure I can make it any more clear than I did in my previous post (setting reference, sample code, etc.).

I’m not sure I follow completely, but Dave Rathbun has taken a shot at a universe comparison tool … details here … http://www.dagira.com/2007/11/13/universe-diff-tool/ … Maybe that will give you some ideas.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Hi Dwyane,
I am able to link VB Editor to the Designer object library. when i run the VBcode which you provided above getting error.

Can you give me Detailed steps for that appreciated

Thanks in advance

im using BO 6.5 and Oracle 10g

Note: I am runnig Macro through Excel

Alapana :india: (BOB member since 2007-07-10)

There are a couple of differences between 6.5 and XI as far as how you log in. You must be sure to use the code that is appropriate for your version of Business Objects.

Also please note that BOB has a policy that does not allow a request for a direct email response, so I have removed your email address from the initial post in this topic. If something can be shared, then I am sure that you would agree it should be shared with everyone, right? :wink:

Finally, if you have an error or specific question about Dwayne’s code, please note that BOB’s Downloads was recently opened for replies, so you can ask your question in the topic specifically dedicated for the code that you are trying to use. Thanks.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)