BusinessObjects Board

Wot no VBA

[Eileen moved to SDK since that looked to be the direction this was going]

Hi all,

I’m new to BO and new here. My site has just started using BO/ZABO and my manager wants a set of reports running on a daily basis.

I don’t have access to any manuals or any real help other than what I can find on the net (imagine how glad I was to find this place).

I’ve done searches here and didn’t see any obvious answers to what I want so I’ll ask and see if someone can point me in the right direction.

I have 4 reports. I need to run/refresh them once a day (time not critical) and then export the report as htlm or a Excel.

Big problem - for whatever reason VBA will not work on out system and the sysadmin does not know why/have time to investigate. Are there any other methods of automating the refreshing and exporting of data? I have had some success with making the reports auto refresh and launching BO with suitable command line arguments but can’t see anything to help export the data.

I am not asking for a complete solution, just a pointer or two on what I should be looking at.

Thanks in advance.

Everso

everso (BOB member since 2003-02-18)

What about the online manuals that come with the BO installation CD?

For your problem you could look at using BCA or look in the Code section of BOB on how to create your own VBA script…

Your main problem seems to be the very limited resources you have access to :nonod:

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

I dream of instalation CDs - they ain’t even in the same country :frowning:

Anyway - my resources ain’t limited, I have you guys.

I have carried on searching and came across mention of project references to BO in our instalation of Visual Basic. This looks like a possible but I can’t find any code that uses this to take apart. Does anyone have a little bit od VB they would care to share?

Thanks

Everso

The online manuals should have been installed…go under help and you may see that you have the online manuals for all of your installed products.

Eileen King :us: (BOB member since 2002-07-10)

There are a number of samples posted in the Code Samples area here on this forum. There are other samples that have been provided that have not been posted yet; hopefully they will be shortly.

Dave

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Just a side note… with a valid Support ID, you can download just the PDF manuals for the SDK if you don’t have the CDs available. Otherwise, you can also DL the CDs from the internet if you needed to install the whole sheebang.

You might try a search on the SDK kit with the words: “End Sub”

-RM

digpen :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Nope no support ID. That’s with the guy who has the disks and “not for general release”. He is “working” on the lack of VBA and as such want’s me to wait. This started 3 months ago and I haven’t even started on my part of the project.

Management pressure is getting nowhere so I thought an alternative route worth exploring.

I did some messing on with the VB objects and am having a little success. I can log on/open and refresh a report. Now if I can get it to export to an access data base I don’t need to talk to him any more :slight_smile:

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Everso

Sorted.

Thanks for all suggestions. I now have a VB program that totaly controls a refresh/export/convert to a delimited file. Does eveything I need.

Thanks ppl.

Everso
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Do you want to share what you did? :mrgreen:

I’ll be happy to. I just have to check about the “interlectual property” thing and let you know.

What’s the prefered method of doing this sort of thing?
The program is quite large and has a fair few modules so I think a ziped up version of the VB project would be best, just let me know.

Everso

If you want to send them to “Bob” there is a special place for posting code. He can do it there! We’ll look forward to what you’ve got… :mrgreen:

Bob’s email is busobj@forumtopics.com

Bob already has some code that needs to be posted, but hasn’t managed to get around to doing it. It will happen - eventually.

Take a look at this topic for ideas on how to document your information. You can take a look at the other items already posted in the code samples forum to see what you need to provide. Thanks!

Dave

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)