BusinessObjects Board

Working with Parameters and Resulting Datasets

Hi,

I have created a report in Web Intelligence XIR2. The idea behind this particular report is that users will select a number of prompts in the parameter selection window when the report is initially executed (As in the case with most reports). The report will then generate a rather large dataset on which we would like to perform further filtering etc. Given this scenario I have a number of questions. (The parameter that is discussed below is an “Excluded IDs Parameter” meaning that it can start as “none” when the report first executes, but can be built up and refreshed during runtime)
1.When the report opens in InfoView the list of Parameters appears in a pane on the left hand side of the report. This is quite useful because I can copy a record ID from a cross tab in the report and add it to a filter parameter on the left hand pane. My problem with this is that it appears that not all the parameters show up on this left hand pane. And it appears that you can’t scroll and view all the parameters. I know that I can view all the parameters by clicking “Advanced” however it is quite easy to just copy the IDs from he report directly, then just refresh the report once it is executed. (Has anybody else experienced this little problem?)
2.On this same pane, the user would have to copy the ID from the cross tab and paste it in the parameter filed. However the user would have to manually put semi-colons between each ID. Is there a more user friendly way of doing this?
3.Using the advanced search box. When al the parameters are displayed. Can I get a list of all the IDs in the report in the report with checkboxes associated with all the IDs returned in the initial dataset (rather than all the IDs in the database table). Then the user can then just uncheck the IDs which they would like to exclude from the report.
4.With the same use in mind, is it at all possible to allow a user to refine their query against the dataset which is returned rather than querying the full database each time. (I guess you could use some slice and dice functionality; however could this same logic be applied to a report?). e.g. Initially a number of parameters are selected producing a dataset, using the abovementioned filters the user will refine their search, however as new filter conditions are added the report re-queries the entire dataset rather than just the resulting dataset)

CPD (BOB member since 2009-07-07)

1.How many prompts have you got in the report
2. Then select it from list of values from advance button
3.Use cascading LOV to get desired list only (read cascading prompts )
4. Use report filters in interactive mode
Also check drill filters option in the report

haider :es: (BOB member since 2005-07-18)

Thank you for your feedback. The advice that you have given is very valid. However there are a few other concerns which I may need to mention. So if the answer that I am looking for could be achieved via some other means then I would like to know that too.

1. There are about 10 parameter on the report. It is designed to be an enterprise wide report. So the functionality needs to be pretty bullet proof.

2. From my understanding of the cascading LOV method. This would assume that there is a hierarchy contained within the list. e.g. Service Line, Product Category, Product Type. This would not work so well if this list contained only 20000 unique IDs. (Is there a way of getting a cascading LOV to only contain the IDs contained in the report?)

3. The report filter on the interactive mode is exactly what I am looking for, however we can’t give edit rights to all the users who need to run the report.

4. If we did give users access to edit mode to run the reports, is there a way of giving them this access in a means that that can’t damage the report, and they can’t manipulate the queries and run a query that blocks/pulls down the data warehouse?

Thank you very much for your feedback so far.

Okay, I finally understand what you mean by Interactive Mode. This gives me exactly the functionality that I need. I.e. By clicking on a field in the cross tab, then by clicking on the filter button, a pop up screen appears and I can filter the report by clicking on the IDs that I would like to include or exlcude.

My only problem with this is that I am scared that letting users view the reports in Interactive mode could mean that they could make changes to this report. What is the best way of assigning security settings so that they can’t modify the report.

I.e. What user account settings would I need to set to allow the user to have access to the reports in Interactive mode, be able to use the filter button. (And as a worst case all they could do is make changes to the report which is open, but will not be able to save over the enterprise version of the report?)

Thank you!..

If you are a BO admin then first have a look at the XIr2 admin guide, some utilities/docs on BOB for XIr2 security. Apply those settings and see the desired effect and if stuck somewhere then post back

haider :es: (BOB member since 2005-07-18)