BusinessObjects Board

WIQT Server Trace

I have a couple of questions regarding creating a WIQT Server Trace running version 5.1.3/2.6.3:

1. The WIQT folder structure on the server is:
    c:…\Business Objects\Server\WebIntelligence 2.5\wiqt

The Adminstrator guide indicates the renaming should heed the case-sensitivity of the _servdiag.ini file. Therefore, should this executable be named:

WIQT_servdiag.ini -or- wiqt_servdiag.ini

I tried both:
wiqt_servdiag.ini did not produce a *.log file -and- WIQT_servdiag.ini hung the server
[actually had to bounce the whole box]

1. In the Webintelligence Administrator tool, should
    the “Internal Trace” be set “On” for WISessionManager when running this WIQT Trace? I presume NO.

2. When specifying the LogFile in the _servdiag.ini
    file, does the path and file have to been enclosed in quotes? I presumed NOT and set the file as: d:\temp\botrace\wiqt_trace.log.

Thanks for your attention to this matter.

Listserv Archives (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

Hi, Ken.

It sounds like you’re the victim of bad BO documentation. Here is what we learned the hard way:

1. Do not rename the *.ini file; leave the name as serverdiag.ini 2) Doesn’t matter.
  2. Do not attempt to give the log file a path/name (leave this parameter blank). The WIQT tracing works such that a log file is created for each individual session (each active WIQT). Giving the log file a name forces all sessions to log to this single file, creating a trace file that is confusing and useless.

Cheers,
Luis Gonzalez
InfoSol Inc.

Luis is right…It’s much easier than the doc makes it sound.

Just open the werverdiag.ini file, change the “Enabled = 0” to “Enabled = 1” and put a copy of the file into just about any of the “bin” directories to start the tracing. Obviously, only put the file in the directories that contain the executables you want to trace (WIQT, in your case).

I agree with Luis’s #3, but I’ve found the addition of the ‘WIDIAGDIR’ environment variable pretty handy. Just create the variable, set it to whatever you want (mine’s set to E:\program files\webidiags) and all your trace files will go there automatically. If you’re doing wide-spread tracing, this saves a lot of time–you don’t pick through many different directories to find all the trace files.

I have an “Enabled” copy of serverdiag.ini in my WIDIAGDIR ready to go at all times. If I need to do a trace, I just copy it to where it needs to go. When I’m done, I delete it from everywhere but the original widiagdir location.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Chris

Hi, Ken.

It sounds like you’re the victim of bad BO documentation. Here is what we learned the hard way:

1. Do not rename the *.ini file; leave the name as serverdiag.ini 2) Doesn’t matter.
  2. Do not attempt to give the log file a path/name (leave this parameter blank). The WIQT tracing works such that a log file is created for each individual session (each active WIQT). Giving the log file a name forces all
    sessions to log to this single file, creating a trace file that is confusing
    and useless.

Cheers,
Luis Gonzalez
InfoSol Inc.
www.infosol.com/bi/

I have a couple of questions regarding creating a WIQT Server Trace running
version 5.1.3/2.6.3:

1. The WIQT folder structure on the server is:
    c:…\Business Objects\Server\WebIntelligence 2.5\wiqt

The Adminstrator guide indicates the renaming should heed the case-sensitivity of the _servdiag.ini file. Therefore, should this executable be named:

WIQT_servdiag.ini -or- wiqt_servdiag.ini

I tried both:
wiqt_servdiag.ini did not produce a *.log file -and- WIQT_servdiag.ini hung the server
[actually had to bounce the whole box]

1. In the Webintelligence Administrator tool, should
    the “Internal Trace” be set “On” for WISessionManager when running this WIQT Trace? I presume NO.
  1. When specifying the LogFile in the _servdiag.ini
    file, does the path and file have to been enclosed in quotes? I presumed NOT and set the file as:
    d:\temp\botrace\wiqt_trace.log.

I’m getting ready to do a trace. Do you still follow these instructions Chris? BO sent me info but I’d rather do it your way…much simpler. I’ve put a copy of serverdiag.ini in the bin directories of all the modules I want to trace.

I didn’t go the environment variable route because…

A. I don’t quite understand…you’re talking to a server newbie here :slight_smile:
B. I’m pressed for time. I should be walking out the door this minute

Do I have to reboot to start the tracing?

Cindy Clayton :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-11)

Can anyone help me get a trace going? I’ve got a BOManager trace but can’t seem to get log files out of the other modules… :confused: .

Is putting the serverdiag.ini file into the bin directory of each of the modules equivalent to using the Administrator tool and visiting each of the modules and setting the ‘Internal Trace’ radio button value to ‘Y’?

I figure if I keep asking, someone will answer to get rid of me :mrgreen: :yesnod:

Well obviously that tactic didn’t work. Let me just say that I never got the trace working but worked with techsupport to unplug our BCA node from our Webi cluster of two…our problems started when we added the node :reallymad: . We’ve been up a record 4 hours and still running strong.

Yeeess, sorry I missed this first time around…its a really obscure one this and I’ve only done it on BCA, let me see if I’ve got any notes at home…hang on…crikey have I got notes…I didn’t find what I wanted but I did find something on setting it to run in visible mode…have you looked at that at all (its in the WebI admin guide)

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Aha I found it!

open bomgr_diag.ini in server\businessobjects manager 5.0 (use notepad)

set the enable parameter in the general section to 1

Save and off you go…

Logging starts straight away - it worked like a dream for me in the past…

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

But what about all the stuff in this thread about serverdiag.ini :confused: …and is turning on trace in the Administrator cool = serverdiag.ini? :confused:

Internal Trace “On” plus serverdiag.ini in the appropriate bin folder for each module you want to trace (except BOManager_diag.ini for BOManager) will initiate a trace log.

Best not to leave this on, as it will affect performance and could possibly generate very large files depending on the .ini settings.

I haven’t done this in a couple of years, so my memory may be off. And given my age that’s not totally out of line. :smiley:

Blake Sanders (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

?

Good to see you back Blake! ?We never forget old friends. You’re all over the archives :wink: Thanks for the info. :yesnod:

I want to log new sessions (I have a random error): I read that modules involved in user logins are wiDispatcher, wiSessionManager, wiGenarator and wiqt

I put serverdiag.ini in 4 folders (wiqt/bin wisession/bin widispatch/bin wigenarator/bin ) with enabled=1.

I set Internal Trace ON in admin panel for wiDispatcher wiSessionManager and wiGenarator.
WiSessionManager never has internal log according to BO docs.

But I get a log file (internal.log in server/system25/bin) which has only wiqt records.
What do I miss? I expected different kinds of records. No other internal.log files are generated on the server.
Thanks for any suggestion.

F.Zavatarelli :it: (BOB member since 2002-08-23)

Probably there are only this kind of reconds with “wiqt” in the forth column… even when event comes frm other modules…

Found.
My internal.log file has now thousands of wiqt records and 1 (one) record marked with wiSessionManager, giving me the error code.

I have had absolutely no luck at all turning on tracing. I have a suggestion for BO! We have someone from BO working with us on our server issues so I’ll post what we finally do to get tracing turned on! :yesnod: Heaven forbid someone else has to spend the time on this that I did so far :blue: