BusinessObjects Board

Winotify.EXE not found in Bin directory

Hi All,
I have installed the BusinessObjects 6.1 on Windows 2003 64 bit server.
Basically the current production reports are on Windows 2000 32bit SP4 server and the server will be retired next month so we need to move into the 2003 server so, I installed all the products(including the server products) on the Test server(2003).

The installation went fine ,I was able to login to the supervisor and when I tried to login to Administartion Console I got ADC00071 error then I realised that the server was not started so when I started the server it gave an error WINOTIFY.EXE does not found in the Bin directory and I also found that there are other EXE’s (like WiAdminBOTools.EXE,WiAdminServer.EXE,WiapiBrokey.EXE,WIClusterManager.EXE,WIClusterNode.EXE) that are not found on the bin directory when compared to my production bin folder.

Are there any other configuration that I have to perform using the configuartion tool?Below are the steps I performed using the configuration tool.

Configure the server
After installation of the server modules, Bo launches the Administration console, with options as shown below

• In case of a fresh install of 61b server, choose the Typical option. This sets up the Business Objects server to use ASP and IIS. (The custom option is used for the purpose of modifying an existing installation.)
• Click Next

• The next step involves setting up a node on the local machine. Choose the default values at this stage.
• Click Next
• On Windows servers, IIS acts as the Application + Web server. Choose defaults at this screen, unless using a different web server
• Click Next
• Choose “Define node as a service” and “Start automatically”
• Enter account information as follows:
o Domain :
o Name :
o Password :
• Click Next
• Display shows Cluster Management screen with list of configuration

• Click finish to exit the Configuration tool

Please advice as how to resolve this issue?

randyj262004 (BOB member since 2004-04-09)

Please advice.
Any help is appreciated.

Thankyou.

Sixty-four bit Windows was not supported by e6, so that’s likely your problem.

The entire e6 version is desupported now, but you really should be on 6.5.4, or at least 6.1.3. I had nothing but trouble with 6.1b.

Joe

joepeters :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

Joe,
Thank you very much for the reply and it helps a lot.

Hi All,
I have asked the infrastructure group to create a 2003 32 bit server to install the businessobjects 6.0/6.1b on it.

Did anyone have any issues with the BO 6.0/6.1b version on 2003 32 bit ?
Please share your experience.

Thank you.

Hi,
I still dont see the Winotify.EXE in the /bin folder and I might again run into the same issues while starting the server as it looks for the Winotify.EXE.
Can anyone please advice or suggest as how to resolve this issue and what is the acuse of this issue.

I tried installing BO6 and BO6.1b on 2003 64 bit and I dont have the option of server installtion so seletced the cusom installation but server is not starting becasue of missing Winotify.EXE.

I tried installing BO6 and BO6.1b on 2003 32 bit and I dont have the option of server installtion so seletced the cusom installation but still I dont see Winotify.EXE in the \bin directory.

Please advice as we have to move out from the 2000 server.

Did the same thing happen the first time around? That would explain why the server components weren’t installed. In the “Custom Setup” page of the wizard, did you see “Server Products” listed?

Are you sure the license key you are using for the install includes the server products?

Joe

Yes, even on the 2003 64 bit srever the same thing happenned.
Yes, I do see all the server products (Admin console,configuration tool…) in the custom installation selection.

The current BO software installed in proiduction was 6.0 but I’m not very sure after that if it was upgraded to 6.1b or 6.5 becasue I see all the 3 different folders(BO65,BO6.1b and BO6.0) on the production server with the three different version of software.
Do you know which table I need to verify in the repository tables to find out the eaxct version of the current production.

And also I tried installing using BO6.0 software ,which doesnt even show me the option of TYPICAL(to select the ASP) while configuring the server products.

I tried with the BO6.1b but that doesnt install the server products.

Please advice.
Thankyou.

Admin Console and Config Tool are part of Administration, not Server Products. See my screenshot below for what you should see; if you don’t have BO Server, Infoview, and WebI, then it’s not installing the server products. If this is the case, then I’ll bet it’s your license file. There’s a button on the License tab in the wizard that will show you what you’re licensed for.

Best way to check the installed version: go to the Bin directory, check the file properties for WILogonServer – the Version tab will show the file’s version.

Joe
install.jpg

Thankyou very much for all the details.
You are right,the installation wizard doesnt show me the server products.
And also I checked the production version properties on WILogonServer and it is showing 60.0.0.57082[b].
So, does it mean that it is BO6.0?

Could it be possible that there is only one server license which is used by the existing production server and that is why it does not allow me to install the BO6.0 server products in Test server?

I really apprecitae your responses.

Thankyou.
[/b]

That looks like 6.0, yeah.

I’m not sure if any licenses are hard-coded to specific machines, but it’s possible (ours aren’t). The license files themselves should tell you that – they’re easily-readable XML files.

Joe,
I looked at the xml file and that is what it contains.From this I cannot really tell as how many server licences we have ?

Do you know which value indicates the server license?
Thankyou.

Looks like you have named user licenses; but of course that should let you install the products.

The ones you’re interested in are bo.InfoView and bo.WebIntelligence; which are there. Last thing I’d check regarding licenses – on the License tab in the install wizard, there’s a button to Check License. This will confirm whether or not the installer thinks you’re licensed for those products.

You’re trying to install 6.1b? It’s possible that WIn2k3 wasn’t supported in 6.1b and that the installer doesn’t recognize it as a server OS. I know for a fact that 6.5.1 will install on Wink2k3, but I can’t confirm 6.1.

Joe

Joe,
Under the Licence wizard (check License) is showing the WebIntelligence and Infoview as valid license.

And do you know if BO6.0 is compatible with Windows 2003 server?

I’m not sure what else I will have to check to have the BO6 install.

The production version is currently 6.0 ,If I install the BO6.5 then dont I need to upgarde the repository to have the existing reports in BO6.0 work properly?

Thank you.

Looks like Win2k3 was newly supported in 6.5.0. It seems really hokey to me that it would not install server components if it didn’t recognize the OS as a server, but it’s possible.

So if I was in your position, I would do the following:

1. Get the latest available version of 6.5 (I think it’s 6.5.4)
  2. Install on a test server; if it lets you install server components, then…
  3. Copy the production repositories. (be real careful with this, you can screw up big time if you don’t know what you’re doing)
  4. Point your test server at the copied repo. Test. If everything is good, then
  5. Upgrade production to 6.5.4.

I’m pretty positive that 6.5.1 upgrades the repository; but even if it didn’t, I wouldn’t want to mix 6.0 and 6.5 servers in the same environment. Either go with 6.5 all the way or stay on 6.0.

Joe

Joe,
I tried to install the 6.5 on test server and it does have th server installation option so, I’m thinking this should allow the server products install on windows 2003 server.

We have only two reports that are in 6.0 (currently production) after every thing was converted to Microsfot reporting services but these are very critical to the business on daily basis so, I’m thinking instead of upgrading the BO6.0 to 6.5. my plan is to
Install 6.5 version on windows 2003 server
Re-Create those two reports in 6.5 version.
Completely shut down the existing BO production server with BO6.0.

As you mentioned,If I go for an upgrade to 6.5 then first I should have the BO6.0 installed sucessfully on windows 2003 test server right?But I cannot do this because BO6.0 is not supported on 2003 server?

Please let me know your thoughts?

Your approach will work, as long as you don’t mind re-creating the users and groups in your system.

I think you should be able to install 6.5 on a new machine, drop a bomain.key in its LocData folder (pointing to a copy of your production repository), and bring the system up. This means that you’d need to deploy the web and app services as a new install. If you go with this approach, I’d definitely recommend that you copy the repository, and work off the copy. It’s also critical that you re-point all of the domains when doing this. There’s info here about that process.

Joe

Joe,
Thank you very much for all the help !!!.

In your expereince roughly how long(hours/days) it will take to install,configure and upgrade?

Thankyou.

eh, depends on your comfort level. I’ve done quite a few installs, so I could probably do it in a few hours (no, that’s not an offer :))

The install shouldn’t take more than a half hour.

Configuration of web/app services, assuming you’re doing doing anything fancy (like the IIS-Tomcat bridge, or AF) should take much less than an hour.

The upgrade is likely where you’ll spend the most time. You’ll need to copy the repository tables, build a new bomain.key, repoint the domains, and copy the personal docs/inbox directories.

By the way, I’m not 100% certain that you can simply point a new 6.5 installation at a 6.0 repository – it’s possible that the installer requires an existing 6.0 installation to be in place for the purpose of updating the repository. But, at worst, you can go with your plan of just building the new environment and copying the reports and universes into it.

Joe