BusinessObjects Board

Windows Server 2003 (IIS 6.0) - Webi

Has any one been able to get WebIntelligence to work on Windows Server 2003 (with IIS 6.0)?

I am trying to get 2.7.3 running and have run in to a couple road blocks already, I was just wondering if anyone successfully got Webi running with IIS 6.0 before I spent too much time with it.

Thanks,
Tim :slight_smile:

tbolman :us: (BOB member since 2003-02-12)

2003 is totally locked down so multiple changes need to be made to the config before BO starts crawling around on it. I have 516/272 running on 2003 Standard Server flava (Please note that 2003 is a not a supported OS by BO yet.)

Are you installing ASP or JSP?
Which flava of 2003 are you using? 2003 server/web server/enterprise.
Have you setup 2003 to act as a web server and application server.
Have you setup the app server so that the ASP engine parses the pages? (I donā€™t remember the name in IIS but it is one of the drop down options.)

and as always, check the sample ASP/JSP pages to confirm that IIS has been correctly setup to work as an app server.

ā€˜Do more with lessā€™ :wink:

avaksi :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-22)

Tell us what road blocks - even if people donā€™t have this configuration themselves they may be able to provide answers or workarounds if you hit us with a bit more detail :wink:

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

We are using Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition. We are using the ASP version.

I havenā€™t done any manual setup with IIS yet, with older version, the B.O. Install did it all automatically which did not happen with 2003 (this is really my only road block so far). Before I started with a manual setup I wanted to see if anyone was able to get it to work, and how much of a pain it was. It is good to hear that someone has got it to work, then I will continue trying to set it up manually.

Thanks,
Tim

tbolman :us: (BOB member since 2003-02-12)

I was able to make this work. The OS and IIS6 are very different, so it was not able to install automatically.

1. Windows 2003 does not automatically install IIS. You must go to the Windows options and install it separately.

2. The Webi installation does not create the virtual directory on IIS ā€“ no error messages or warnings ā€“ they just are not created. I found a document that describes the process for manually creating the directories for IIS 4, and I was able to work around the version differences.

3. Then I was able to get the webi home page, but when I tried to log in I got errors. I read further into the IIS6 documentation and found that it installs in ā€œLockdown mode.ā€ It only serves static content. There is an options page in IIS6 to set several options for dynamic content. After I set this option, webi worked fine.

I did not deploy the solution. I was just testing to see if it works. I tried all of the major functions, and everything appears to work.

paulfischer :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-08)

Hi there,

Iā€™m trying to get WebI 2.7.4 installed on Win2k3 using IIS6 fro some testing and would appreciate it if anyone has any more specific details on the method used by paulfischer above. Specifically, I am so far unable to find the document relating to manually creating the virtual directories and would also appreciate any help on the specifics of configuring II6.

Any help whatsoever would be fantastic!

Iā€™ll post any findings as I work through the problem

David.

dellio39 (BOB member since 2005-01-04)

I donā€™t have any specific solution for you, but I just wanted to be sure you were aware that WebI 2.7.4 is not supported on Win2k3 or IIS6. Iā€™m not saying it canā€™t be configured to work (Paulā€™s message earlier indicates it is possible), just that you likely wonā€™t get any support from Business Objects on that configuration.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Thanks for the reply Dwayne.

Iā€™m aware that itā€™s not supported, but sadly for various reasons we canā€™t upgrade either, so itā€™s a bit of a rock and a hard place!

David

That is a tough one. Another option is something like Microsoft Virtual Server 2005. It would run on your Win2k3 box, and allows the creation of ā€œvirtualā€ machines sharing the same hardware. One of its selling points is to enable the support for legacy applications. In your case, build a supported server (Win2k / IIS5) as a virtual machine, and run Webi there. It may still take some convincing of your IT folks, but itā€™s a reasonable interim solution, I would hope.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

The install is actually fairly straightforward;

1. Install WebI server as usual
  2. Create a new virtual directory (wi) under the default website
  3. Add iswi.dll to the IIS 6 Web Service Extensions and enable it

This enables the basic WebI funtionality.

The problem I am having is that the OLAP connect section simply does not appear after the install (it is not installed to the BO directory even).

Iā€™ve tried copying the OLAP directory across from an IIS 5 install but unsurprisingly it doesnā€™t work so Iā€™m going to try examing the registry entries on both installs and comparing.

Dwayne,

Itā€™s a great idea, but unfortunately my only avenue at the moment is to test WebI 2.7.4 with Win2k3 / IIS6 :confused:

Iā€™ll keep your idea in the back of my mind though. Thank you.

More a blind alley, really :wink: Remember that many people run unsupported configurations which tick along just fineā€¦it just isnā€™t recommended.

Hello BOBites - my first post (so be gentle).

Iā€™m not sure if this helps (Iā€™m a real noob here) but i did find this little migration tool for transferring IIS settings from 4 or 5 to version 6ā€¦ it didnā€™t seem to help me very much with my problem (I work with dellio39) but it might be useful to someone.
:roll_eyes:

Hereā€™s the link:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2aefc3e4-ce97-4f25-ace6-127f933a6cd2&DisplayLang=en

Hope itā€™s useful to someone,
All the best.

rdavies9 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-01-28)

Hi
Iā€™ve managed to get Webi to work fine on Windows Server 2003 IIS6, (anyone who needs any help let me know) however I cannot get the Admin tool to work, has anyone mangaged to get this to work ?

wyabcp :uk: (BOB member since 2005-02-12)

What happens when you try it?

Hi,

I receive the ā€œcanā€™t connect to cluster manager errorā€
Iā€™ve experienced this error in W2K also and have tryed all the fixes that correspond to the old O/s but none help at all. The full java console log displays:-

ā€œCaught security exception reading System Properties. Ignoringā€¦
WARNING: Attempting to use HTTP Firewall Proxy Server
due to security restrictions: org.omg.CORBA.INTERNAL[completed=MAYBE, reason=Can not find GateKeeper: exception ReqFailure{}]
org.omg.CORBA.INTERNAL[completed=MAYBE, reason=Can not find GateKeeper: exception ReqFailure{}]ā€

any help greatly appreciated

[Moderator Edit ā€“ removed the ā€œnewā€ topic which was a duplicate post of this discussion. wyabcp, it is best to keep your question in a single topic, so the discussion does not become too disjointed. Perhaps you posted the question first and then found this topic ā€“ and posted another version of the question here. If so, please remember to search first, and only create a new post if you cannot post a followup in an existing discussion - thanks! :wink:

I am successfully running WEBI 2.6 on 2000 server SP4!!!
Please try this solutionā€¦

THe symcjit.dll file is not supported by SP4
Try to replace the file in folder
%root%\business objects\webintelligence\Jre\bin\symcjit.dll
with the file downloadable at
http://www.virginia.edu/isp/5archives/symcjit.dll
It must workā€¦If it does not please let me know if you get the same error ā€œCant connect to the cluster managerā€!!

BUT BUT BUT I have tried lot of things on WIN 2003 but still I am not able to get into WEBI admin the same error ā€œcanā€™t connect to the Clustā€¦ā€!! Still doing some research!! If you get something please let me knowā€¦

To Change the system be in the system!

luckysoul (BOB member since 2005-07-08)

HI

Iā€™ve given up on trying to run the Admin tool from a browser. now instead I connect to the serverā€™s desktop and run it from the Start menu, I donā€™t get any problems thereā€¦ maybe Iā€™ll wait for when we install the next versionā€¦

I bet itā€™s a Java version problem. I bet your machine has upgraded itself to Java 1.4.1 ā€“ and 2.x WebI Administrator panel needs Java 1.3.1. My desktop support guy took care of getting the old Java onto my machine when I complained a year or two ago that an upgrade caused my WebI Administrator panel to stop ā€œworkingā€ ā€“ so I didnā€™t personally perform this retrofit. But Iā€™ve seen the following steps documented (that hopefully will work for you):

Steps:

1.   In IE, go to Tools>Internet Options>Advanced
2.   Scroll down to the Java section.
3.   De-select "Use Java 2 version 1.4.2_06 for <applet> [requires restart]
4.   Click Apply
5.   Click OK
6.   Restart your browser.

This setting will remain until you reset it back.

What I do not know is whether you have to acquire JRE 1.3.1 from somewhere and then install it after this ā€“ I believe that may be what he did for us.

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

Here is a solution to the problem with the Admin tool on Windows 2003:

The Java Console says: Can not find GateKeeper.
The IIS log shows that the file gatekeeper.ior canā€™t be found. But this file exists in /wi/classes/
So why does IIS not load the file? :hb:

Because IIS 6 only handles MIME registered files! (I found this info by sheer luck). And the file gatekeeper.ior does not have a MIME registered extension.

The solution is to open IIS manager and register the ā€œiorā€ extension:
Right-click for instance ā€œWeb Sitesā€ (the type is inherited to lower levels), choose Properties and ā€œHTTP Headersā€ and ā€œMIME Typesā€. Add the new type as ā€œiorā€ and ā€œapplication/octet-streamā€. This works OK for us, and we use BO 5.1.6.

Jens

Jens (BOB member since 2003-05-05)