BusinessObjects Board

Who is with me on this ?

I’ve seen a few comments on Idea Place, I’ll aim to address all.
First Idea Place is a new channel to provide ideas and feedback to SAP. The challenge we’ve discovered, is that it’s not in person meetings or an online process that will get more ideas into the product… like any product there is simply limited time and resources. And this is a challenge that product managers have.
The goal of Idea Place is to leverage social practices that enable product managers to scale while allowing more customers to have a say on the product direction. Onsite visits, customer meetings, focus groups, single customer submission systems, are time consuming activities for both parties and they only allow the product manager to talk to a select few customers. Now this is not too say, face to face or focus groups are not effective, they always will be but these meetings are much more effective for qualitative activities, where Idea Place strength is more quantitative.

re: any ideas implemented
It will take time, Idea Place is starting out. Ideas can take 1-3 years to get into the product. With that said, WebI had quite a few ideas in 4.0.
https://cw.sdn.sap.com/cw/community/ideas/businessanalytics/sbowebi
click on the delivered tab to see over 40 ideas delivered. I expect to see more come in 2012.

re: accepting ideas for new versions vs existing versions
Idea Place was initially planned for ideas on future releases. However, it is up to the product owner how they wish to manage. We have product owners who are taking ideas on existing releases too. This is not really an Idea Place challenge; fixing items in older versions take away from the ability to deliver new versions and vice-versa. I am open to suggestions on whether we should encourage product owners to take more or less for existing versions. Or perhaps this is better for existing feedback channels???

re: Support using Idea Place as a dumping ground
The problem is simply resources here, again. I would ask if you noticed more of the ideas submitted to Support got through before? Not that I have seen. The challenge with submitting ideas to support is that the ideas are interpreted by someone other than the owner, duplicates are encouraged, no one owns the idea, there is no way to see anyone else’s idea and to get an update you need to call in.
Idea Place does aim to address these issues. By have a public central place, you can submit ideas and see what other ideas people have. Instead of creating duplicates, customers can vote on an idea. Not only does this save the product manager a lot of time trying to review ideas, it also adds a prioritization for them to look at popular ideas. And if you want to see how your idea is progressing, the stage describes what is happening or not happening.

In some capacities, I would even think that ideas submitted through the various channels at SAP could appear on Idea Place. Even to track the status and see whether ideas are being reviewed, that way the product owner doesn’t have to update in multiple places.

Cheers

Kuhan

kmilroy :canada: (BOB member since 2008-10-24)

Hi Kuhan,

Thanks for posting here; it’s good to know that SAP is interested in this discussion.

Please let me clarify my post above by saying that I am not complaining about the Idea Place. I think it’s a great concept, and the points you make about ownership, voting, and publicity are valid. I have submitted many Ideas and am grateful for the opportunity to do so.

My problems are with tech support, and the fact that they (perhaps on behalf of Product), refer me to Idea Place for things that I believe are actually problems in the product. The example that I pointed out above illustrates this – why should I be required to submit an Idea to have useful functionality restored to the product? I was never even given an explanation for why it was removed, just that it was “by design”.

This is certainly a valid point; we can’t expect to see enhancements added to the product immediately. But, as I mentioned before, the “Delivered” count is misleading as it includes stuff that was already in the works when the Idea was submitted. It would be valuable if there was a separate category to separate these “already active” ideas from those that really were the impetus for the enhancement.

Certainly not. And I could give a dozen or more examples of “enhancements” that I have submitted over the past six years of the XI platform that have not materialized. But again, I’m complaining about stuff that shouldn’t be considered an enhancement. As far as real enhancements go, it’s a perfect medium. It’s good to have the ability to have two-way communication with SAP regarding Ideas (which, incidentally, was something we had in the pre-SAP days).

And since I have your attention :slight_smile: I have a question – what determines how Ideas advance from Submitted to Under Review? I have several that I submitted over a year ago that are still in Submitted status.

Joe

joepeters :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

Totally see your point. Though the specific choices are up to the product and solution management teams, posting them on Idea Place will put you in contact with the respective PM/SM, otherwise Support is just relaying information back and forth in this case. Ideally, Idea Place is to really put customers in direct contact with the people who can explain alternatives or add back the functionality. The nice thing, is that if you are not alone, others can comment and vote which puts more pressure to get the idea addressed.

When an Idea Session is started, we do ask product managers to back-fill a few ideas that they have already captured for two reasons. 1. To provide some ideas for people to vote on (typically more people will vote than submit new ideas, so this gives an immediate call-to-action for all participants), 2. The voting helps prioritize ideas. The problem I hear from product managers is not that they need more ideas, they have enough. What they need is a way to prioritize the ones they have. So you may find some ideas are posted that you know are under discussion. Until they are delivered, they can always be removed or postponed to a further release, so here is where voting will help and commenting, if you have specific use-case dropped.

A great question. This is left up to the specific product managers but the recommendations we have been pushing ‘internally’, is that after 10 votes, look at the ideas, which would cause a change to ‘Under Review’. Some product managers are much more eager and review all ideas, some are a little less and take some time. I am working on some reports to identify, ‘tardiness’, i.e. ideas that have high votes and no reviews. I should clarify, ‘10 votes’ is an internal number that many of the Business Analytics teams use, it could change up or down but this is what we are trying now to gauge adoption and product managers load.

The one challenge, that has come up, is how long to wait… what if an idea is something that SAP wants to add but due to priorities can’t make it into the next release. Should this be left in ‘Under Review’ or pushed back to submitted to see if it can get further votes to push it into the first coming release.

Thanks for the support. We’ve started Idea Place to be flexible but this also leads to some inconsistencies, the next phase will be to put some general governance rules around how product managers use.

Ok, don’t mean to hijack the thread… feel free to start another thread if you want to discuss further. :slight_smile:

Cheers

Kuhan

But the problem is that these are still considered by SAP to be “enhancements”, whereas from my (and my users’) perspective these are problems. Being an enhancement means I have little hope of the issue being resolved in the current version. Again I’ll use the “Open button” issue – we have no immediate plans to move to BI4 (since we have a large deployment of DeskI and PM), so I don’t really care if this functionality is added back into BI4 – I need it put back in XI3.

I’m not saying that existing enhancements shouldn’t be in Idea Place, just that they should be identified as such. If you’re showing 40 enhancements implemented, but only two of which were actually a result of a submitted Idea, then you’re showing misleading metrics. As a submitter, I’m interested in how many Ideas have been implemented. I’d be much more likely to submit new Ideas if I can see exactly how many past Ideas have actually influenced the product development.

Good info – thanks. So now I have to get other people to vote for my Ideas! I think another thread is needed…

How about adding another status for “Deferred”? You would then review all existing “Deferred” items when you start collecting enhancements for the subsequent release.

Joe

Loss of functionality through service / fix packs, surely, the ultimate crime :shock: .

I have never used “Ideas Place”, but I have used SAP / Business Objects products a lot in the last 15 or so years. A number of enhancements I have seen mentioned in the past few years have been:-

Parallel query running when running a report.
Report level variable repository.
Grouping in Webi.
Better charting in Webi, you could form some kind of relationship with a visialisation expert for this?

Theres a starter for 10
:slight_smile:

Mak 1 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-01-06)

I think those are all on there already :slight_smile:

I created a new thread for my vote begging: SAP Ideas - request for votes

Funny that!
:rotf:

Mak 1 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-01-06)

I understand the challenge and even though Idea Place is meant for future version enhancements, it is also an opportunity to build community support. Is this an issue that would affect 100+ customers? If so then this may be a motive to get the desired functionality added/replaced/etc…
I will investigate with the PMs, the notion of looking at previous version enhancements.

I’ve captured this idea too and include it. thanks

Cheers

Kuhan

Done, finally! Good luck

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Thanks Nick for your vote !!

Kuhan,
Thanks for all your responses.

Naresh Ganatra :us: (BOB member since 2004-04-09)

My pleasure. And thanks for the feedback.

Cheers

Kuhan

Yes ! :smiley: It does work !! SAP Idea place does work !!

Thanks to the folks who voted
The idea on version numbers got accepted https://cw.sdn.sap.com/cw/ideas/5898

For all those who were skeptical about using idea place :
I did not say much then as I too was not sure :wink: but was sure of one thing, that I would definitely like to see a more simple and straight forward version number (like many of you here). So gave idea place a shot !

I am assuming that there must have been other means to try and approach on this…say just walk into the product manager’s office :smiley:
Kidding…being an SAP employee I guess I could try something else also but wanted to try SAP idea place as that is what SAP has for all of us out there and it worked, at least this far.

I will not advocate as to what channel to use (though Idea place seems great to me) but would definitely say that propose your ideas through whatever means you like.

Once again thanks and looking forward to see clean version numbers…

PS - I do not work for the product group and I do not represent SAP to the outside world. Nor do I have anything to do with Idea place.

Great news and great suggestion…you’ll go down in Business Objects history as the guy who said

I hope it didn’t happen just because you work for the big S.

Thanks ! Maybe I should have also suggested adding my name to the version numbers… :evil:

Nope, rest assured it has nothing to do with that. I believe it got accepted mostly due to the number of votes and moreover who would not like something simple and easy to understand :?:

And now its there !!
:wave:

See attached screenshot…
BOBJ Version.png

Well done! Also, as per page 25 of this document so is being able to run a single query from the query panel - that was one of mine - hoorah! For WebI there are quite a few features that were present in XI3.1, then removed in BI4 that have been put back.

I wonder if we’ll ever get back the stuff we lost in 6.5…

Well the ideas place can work in the right circumstances…it would just depend on the idea, the votes etc…anything particular you have in mind?

I can see that Semantic layer SDK is back :slight_smile:

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)

A few. Most (if not all) of these have been submitted as Ideas, either by myself or someone else:
[list][:e8ae46c5fe]“BCA Console”-type view in Infoview
[
:e8ae46c5fe]Ability to schedule reports to overwrite the original report, rather than creating an instance
[:e8ae46c5fe]Overwrite Mode when sending to Inbox
[
:e8ae46c5fe]Ability to dedicate a scheduler for exclusive use by a group
[:e8ae46c5fe]User-selectable CSS themes (I believe this is back in BI4?)
[
:e8ae46c5fe]Display the Last Saved Date rather than Last Run Date in Infoview
[:e8ae46c5fe]Option to delete file after firing Event
[
:e8ae46c5fe]Purge Inbox docs by age[/list]
Joe