BusinessObjects Board

Which Oracle Client? Using 11g CMS DB, 11g/10g data sources

We are setting up a new BOE XI 3.1, SP2, FP2.4 system on five 64-bit Linux servers/nodes/boxes. We are using an Oracle 11g database for CMS.

2 nodes/boxes will run CMS and 3 will run BO reporting and job servers.

I dug into this and here is what I found:

However, this does not answer all of my questions, so I hope someone here can help out:

1. Does FixPack 2.4 still suffer from the Oracle 11g client problem?

2. Is the Oracle 11g client problem limited to just CMS nodes are also dedicated reporting/processing nodes as well?

3. What about the Oracle client bit version; can I use the 64-bit version of Oracle 11g client?
    I installed the latest 11.2 64-bit client using the “Administrator” option and found no “lib32” folder.

Any help would be welcome. I have also opened a “Customer Message” with SAP, but I trust you all more than I do them. :wink:

dajabon (BOB member since 2003-09-09)

I would be surprised if it didn’t, Service Packs are usually where this changes.

Check the Business Objects PAR Product Availablity Report for 3.1 SP2, also check there for your question, above, if you have not being referring to this already.

Nope, you have to use 32 bit client, BO is compatable with 64 Bit hardware and OS software, but, currently, only in 32 bit modes.

Mak 1 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-01-06)

Mak 1, thanks for the answers!

All that I could find documented on this topic is in the “BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 3.1 SP2 for Linux – Supported Platforms”

The funny part is that the XI 3.1 SP2 Release Notes make no mention of Oracle 11g; only the XI 3.1 Release Notes make such a mention (cited in original post).

SAP Support is saying to follow the “BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 3.1 SP2 for Linux – Supported Platforms” exclusively. So then my answers from this document would be CMS Nodes should run Oracle 10.2 client, WebI Processing Server Nodes should run Oracle 11 client. Also the doc clearly states 32-bit is the way to go, although I suppose if the 64-bit middleware included 32-bit libraries all would be OK, except as I noted before 11.2 does not for Linux.

So my only remaining question is whether or not to install the 11.1 or 11.2 client on the processing nodes. DBA says put the latest version but the doc seems to say to match the client version to the database version.

I cannot locate a PAR document for XI 3.1 SP2. Too be honest, I have never really been able to find these. Where are they stored?

See this link for the PAR:

https://bobj-board.org/t/139214

bension (BOB member since 2005-09-01)

Thanks! That helps!

Hmmm… so if I follow the instructions there they lead me to a section called “Supported Platforms/PARs”. Therefore, my conclusion is that the document I have been reading “BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 3.1 SP2 for Linux – Supported Platforms” is the XI 3.1 SP2 Linux PAR. Is this a correct conclusion?

Match it to the DB version, i.e. follow the PAR. I’m not saying it won’t work, I have used many unsupported components, not from choice, in the past and have not had issues.
However, if I was initially responsible, as you are, for setting this up I would go with the PAR.

Yep, could have told you that, PAR = Supported Platforms :yesnod: .

Mak 1 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-01-06)

Brining the topic back to life.

Currently in our setup we have BO XI R3.1 SP3 deployed with the repository and reporting databases on Oracle 10g.
We are having a few application databases migrated to Oracle 11gr2 (Oracle database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.1.0 - 64 bit Production)

From the Platforms supported document for BOXI R3.1 SP3 for Linux, I read that Oracle 11g R2 is not supported as repository and audit database, however I could not find anything about reporting database.
:hb:

risinguday :india: (BOB member since 2010-06-28)

Oracle 11.2.x databases as data stores should be fine. In fact, what matters more is the client that you install on the BO server. Make sure it is 11.1.x or lower (even if the box is not running the CMS).

Solaris - BOE XI 3.1 SP4. I have just upgraded to 11gR2 (11.2.0.2) for the CMS and Audit databases and am having problems configuring LDAP authentication in the CMC, the ever helpful “An internal error has occurred in the secLdap plugin”.

SAP KB Article #1486546 - Oracle Net Client 11.1 support for BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 3.1 Service Pack 3 on CMS database. Anyone have any update for SP4?

Looking at the “SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 3.1 SP4 for Solaris – Supported Platforms” document it has on page 8 for CMS databases:

Why are some of the footnote in blue, some in black?
Where is footnote (4)?!
It seems according to footnote 2 that Oracle 11gR2 with 10.2 client is not supported either for LDAP configuration?! Refering to the Release Notes for SP4 does not mention “support of Oracle 11g R1 with Oracle Net Client 10.2 as alternative” at all!

Please help!

Darth Services :uk: (BOB member since 2007-11-20)

I know am replying to an Old Post, but maybe this will help someone…

We had the same problem while configuring LDAP Authentication with BO XI 3.1 SP4, this is discussed in detail in SAP Note: 1202563.

We had to update the Oracle Client on CMS server from 10.2.0.4 to 10.2.0.5.

viru4808 :australia: (BOB member since 2008-01-09)