BusinessObjects Board

Whether there is a way to find a Class name of the Object

Hi all,

I think this is some ackward but still i am very curious to know about it.

Whether there is any way to find out the class name of the object. Since i have one universe which has the same object name in more than one calsses and this universe is developed by some one else. I need to find out from which class this universe has been taken.

Would appreciate if some one helps me in this

Thanks & Regards
Sunil Kumar

ts_sunilkumar (BOB member since 2003-01-15)

I am assuming the object’s SQL is the same for all the classes it’s in (maybe not in which case this solution isn’t the way to go).

This is kind of a Mickey Mouse way but it’s quick and easy.

If you add another object with the same name to the result objects, the heading of both objects are modified to show the class name.

For example, your object is named Apple and you have one in the classes Tree, Fruit, and Pie. It’s from Tree but you don’t know that yet.

If you add the Apple object from one of the classes (e.g., Fruit), the display of those objects will show Tree.Apple and Fruit.Apple.

If you try using the class that it’s from (that is, you try adding Apple from the Tree class), it won’t let you because you can’t add the same object twice. So you still find out that it was from the Tree class.

KSG :us: (BOB member since 2002-07-17)

For this reason quite a few universe developers will add the class name to the object help text. It is generally the last line so it doesn’t obscure the actual help text, but this can be a real help when trying to track down an object called “Balance Amount” from a financial universe. :wink:

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

this is also kind of micky mouse but -

if there are no hierarchies defined you can hit the scope of analysis button and it will open up the classes and put check marks by the objects that are being used.

jswoboda :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

I think the answer to sunilkumar’s original question is “not really.” We use something similar to Dave’s suggestion. Our standard for the description text (maintained in Designer) is to begin with Class Name - Object Name, with any “actual description” text following. Actually, my production version of this utility enforces that standard. Our users are then trained to look at the description at the bottom of the screen when in the query panel.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)