BusinessObjects Board

Where to Start - SDK?

Hi,

For some of you this topic may seem like a school boy stuff… :!:
yeah,though i’ve been working with BO for more than a year,i’ve never used SDK…

Now i would like to learn about SDK…Say for e-g what all i can do with VBA macros…Where do i start :confused: if i need to know how to use vba macros in BO…Basically i am looking at tips for a beginner…What all we can achieve using VBA macros…this may be a huge list…but i would like to hear some example so that i can understand what’s this all about??

I looked at the BO SDK guide and also searched in forum…it doesn’t give me informtion on how to start??..The guide explains various methods we can use in VBA macros for BO…Forum also talks about various problems faced and code samples for the same???..

I welcome any suggestions/tips in this regard…may be if any of you have a starter guide that would do a whole lot to me…

apkk :india: (BOB member since 2003-07-24)

It is tricky starting from scratch. One thing you can do is just read every thread that is posted in this forum. That’ll give you a feel for what sort of problems people typically face and also what sort of things are being done with SDK/VBA.

Another thing would be to give yourself a target - for example, you’re going to try to write an application that runs all the way through any open report and documents the name of data providers, variables, formulas etc. Then, simply try and do it…perhaps in very small chunks. Steal bits of code and get them to work for you - investigate the different options that are available for different procedures…

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Hi Daniels,

Thanks for the response…

That’s what i started doing…i tried creating a VBA macro using a code piece i found in forum…Let me see how it goes…

The Introduction to Developer Suite pdf document does give some ideas on how the SDK can be used, but is by no means all inclusive. As you’ve discovered, you can also read through all the possibilities, just to get a feel for what’s possible. In the end though, as Nick suggested, the best way is to have an actual problem to solve. That “generic learning” stuff only goes so far.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

It is also very helpful to know MS Office VBA (particularly for Excel) conventions. BO follows most of them.

dirmiger :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-28)

Another thing, if you could get hold of the BO Object Model diagram - it used to be available in hard copy and is now available in BOSDKOMD51EN.pdf - that might be useful.

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Hi,

Thanks a lot everyone…i started building SDK knowledge with all the bricks i could find from this forum…

I started with building a small macro with just a mesage…went on well…then i used the following macro from the BOB’s downloads

I created a new report document using VBA procedures option…
i just pasted this code into VBA editor but it didn’t work…i guess this code piece has to be pasted with in a event…i worked in VB 4 yrs back…now i forgot everything…can anyone out here help me,how i can make this code piece work…

Thanks…