BusinessObjects Board

When to decide to create smart measures

I have designed universes without smart measures. I have revenues, total volumes etc as measures. I have defined revenue, total volume as sum project function. On what situation, do I need to define revenue as delegated in projection? I know delegated uses database for calcuating the values.
I have also some average calcuations, If I use average in projection without database delegate then I get certain result and If I used delegate to calculate average, I get different results. So, I am confused. Could you please give me when to decide to use delegated and when not to use delegated to measures in Universe.

alex1234 (BOB member since 2010-09-14)

Whenever you are usig a ratio or time based inventory levels your projection must be set to database delegated.
Also Count DISTINCT and Averages must be set to projection Database delegated.

Just think about it.
Can you SUM up an inventory level across time? No --> Database Delegated
Can you SUM up or Count a COUNT DISTINCT? No --> Database delegated
Can you SUM UP or MAX a ratio such as 70% and 85% Customer satsisfaction in 2 states? Same holds true for Averages or does an Average of an Average makes any sense (Example for two Averages 30/100 and 10/200, if rolled up this results in = (30+10)/ (100+200) and NOT: 60/200 + 10/200 = 70/200 = 35/100) ? No --> Database delegated

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

Thanks for your prompt response. So, If I need to calculate an average of a measure revenue, then do I do like this:
(select)

avg(revenue)
and projection is delegated. Is this correct?

alex1234 (BOB member since 2010-09-14)

Correct. You can always test your scenario bei using the base measures that make up your average such as: number of closed calls against number of all calls at different grains (by day, by month, by town, by state) etc.

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

found my own answer thanks andreas :wink:

Nice topic :smiley:
Andreas
I would like to know your(and any one else who want to share) thoughts on performance here.
How does putting the calculations in the report instead of using the database(delegating) work out with a database.
What are your thoughts on when to use the database delegate or having the report do the work.

Thanks. :+1:

IngeH :netherlands: (BOB member since 2004-06-22)