BusinessObjects Board

whats the difference between join and synchronization

hi
i wanted to know the difference between join and synchronization when using multiple context in my webi report
i wanted to know the use of both of them
it would be better if explained with example

bhuvandeep :india: (BOB member since 2008-01-03)

Have a look at the Reporter FAQ.

It’s basically when two contexts are involved in queries. Joins occur when direct object matches are available, synchronisation when there aren’t enough objects in one context to correctly match the data in both queries.

but what will happen exactly in synchronization?
still a little confused …

Then it is the time to go through Solving the Mystery of Data Provider Synchronization presentation. Does it help?

Jansi :india: (BOB member since 2008-05-12)

thanks jansi…
but the document u referred was about multiple data provider
i wanted to about join that happens when there r multiple context …
hows that happening

It uses the same logic.

A synchronized query occurs when your selected dimension objects don’t match across every SQL pass. The net result is that your measure objects will only be correct for all common dimensions.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

that means dave if there r only common objects then join will happen and when uncommon objects are there then synchronization will happen for multiple context queries … but net result for measure objects will only be correct for all common dimensions

Isn’t that what I just said? :lol:

Suppose you have dimensions A, B, C and measures M1 and M2. Dimension A, B, and C exist in context M1, but only A and B exist for context M2. The results for M2 cannot be shown with dimension C because they don’t exist in the same context. On the other hand, you can use both measures M1 and M2 with dimensions A and B because they’re shared.

If you use M2 with C you will see the values for A and B repeated for each value of C.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

thanks … finally i understood that concept …